Pre-Order new Abercrombie for autograph

This is today's ECM press release.  I thought it would be best to put it in this forum because of the offer of " free autograph with pre-order purchase."

Also note the tour dates.

ABERCRMB MADMIMI

John Abercrombie guitar / Marc Copland piano 
Drew Gress double-bass / Joey Baron drums

Guitarist John Abercrombie – who has recorded as a leader for ECM since 1974 – returns with a second album by his quartet featuring kindred-spirit piano foil Marc Copland, along with longtime rhythm partners Drew Gress and Joey Baron. Extolling 39 Steps, the group’s 2013 album, the Financial Times said: “The emphasis is on subtle intrigue, flowing lyricism and the interplay between the leader’s warm, cleanly articulated guitar and Copland’s piano… with bassist Gress and drummer Baron equally supple and sinewy companions.” The same virtues of lyrical melody and harmonic/rhythmic subtlety are apparent with the new Up and Coming, though with even more emphasis on the enduring values of song. Abercrombie’s liquid phrasing and glowing tone – enabled by the thumb technique he has honed since eschewing a plectrum in recent years – animate his five originals and the pair by Copland, as well as a take on the exotic-sounding Miles Davis classic “Nardis” done in the spirit of Bill Evans. Up and Coming has a twilight atmosphere, with melodic flow the guiding light.

blank-smlr

amz smllr

int-smllr

blank-smlr
NEWBERY-COPY3
email twitter facebook_custom youtube_custom

1px
© 2017 ECM | ECM Records | Verve Music Group, 150 5th Ave, 6th floor | New York NY 10011
1px

Or maybe it's because the band has a few gigs in California and expect enough of  a turnout that they'd rather sell the merchandise themselves while there? Or maybe Manfred Eicher hates surf music and is making a point. Or maybe ECM is working on a deal with another California record store? Or maybe California has a defensive missile shield up against ECM, and who wants that kind of excitement these days?

Who knows, and in my case, who cares? They're playing "Nardis", gag reflex fully stimulated. Old white guys playing "Nardis", it's my nightmare scenario, and it's gonna come true more and more as time goes on.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Old white guys playing Nardis....Image result for john abercrombie nardis

EXACTLY!

It's one of those tunes where certain "types" will go to the greatest imaginable lengths (and some unimaginable ones when they've exceeded those) to play everything that everybody all already knows, only because it's "Nardis", you're supposed to think/feel it's "creative", or "searching" or some equally projective bullshit. Don't believe the hype, etc.

I'd like to blame Bill Evans for it, but full props to him, he got started on it and did his best to finish it (and truthfully, probably did). But Bill Evans is dead, right? And ain't nobody that I've heard played anything new on "Nardis" for decades. And yet they not only try, they PRIDE themselves on it, look at that blurb, OOOOOOHHHHHH, NARDIS!!!! EXOTIC-SOUNDING!!!! IN THE SPIRIT OF BILL EVANS!!!! No, I'm not genuflecting, I'm on my knees barfing.

I'm kinda like, fuck "Nardis". Seriously. Find some other tune to do that on, I mean, ok, that's what most people do on ALL tunes these days, but "Nardis" is like, wow, Bill Evans, exotic song title, we can VENTURE on this one, and no, you can't. Stop trying, please.

And see, it's not just old white guys!

DUDES! Buy a Chico Hamilton record from, like,,,,ANY time past 1962!

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

My contact has replied to my query.  She says that it has something to do with this law regarding the sale of autographed memorabilia:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1570

Wow - that seems very arcane. I've bought several signed albums online from artists' crowd-sourcing campaigns. Don't know where most of them came from, but I doubt they were all from California. I guess they were breaking the law, though!

I'm gonna go with Sangry's thought: "... maybe Manfred Eicher hates surf music and is making a point." :g

3 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

If you want a copy, let me know - you can use my address and I'll then send it to you.

Thanks for the offer, Agggggggggggggggggggggg! He's gonna be at SFJAZZ next month, so maybe I'll just wait for that. ;)

ECM (and/or Newbury) should read the amended law (bold added): https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1570

(2) “Collectible” means an autographed item sold or offered for sale in or from this state by a dealer to a consumer for five dollars ($5) or more.

B) “Dealer” does not include any of the following:

(i) A pawnbroker licensed pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 21300) of Division 8 of the Financial Code, if the collectible was acquired through a foreclosure on a collateral loan, provided that the pawnbroker does not hold himself or herself out as having knowledge or skill peculiar to collectibles.
(ii) The personality who signs the memorabilia.
(iii) A provider or operator of an online marketplace, provided that the online marketplace provider or operator is not principally in the business of selling, or offering for sale, collectibles, in or from the state, exclusively or nonexclusively, or does not hold itself out as having knowledge or skill peculiar to collectibles.

Not knowing Newbury in any fashion apart from online CD shopping thru amazon, I guess maybe they really do still deal in comics? Even at that, are they "principally in the business of selling, or offering for sale, collectibles"?
And of course, this exhibition of possible nomophobia raises the possibility that maybe those autographs really aren't real..."offer valid while supplies last"...how many is that going to be, exactly? And autographed by whom, exactly? The whole band? Just Abercrombie? Whoever is handy at the time? "Limited to 5 per customer"? I know jazz don't sell shit, but even at that, it sounds like they're ready to move these out in some vague, non-fixed quantity, so order now and order a lot, get ready resale market?!?!?!
"Nardis" aside, the ECM cover ethos isn't the only fuzzy thing going on here, at least looking at the facts at hand...

• 1 month later...