Sarah Vaughan With Clifford Brown

Tom 1960

6 hours ago, felser said:

It's great.  That and "Swingin' Easy" are her go-to albums for me.  Her voice would never again be as pure and beautiful.

I'm going to disagree with this one--not about "Swingin' Easy," which is a fine album, but about the last comment. Even though it deepened over the years, I always thought that Sassy's voice stayed remarkably pure and beautiful all the way up to the end. Indeed, amazingly so. Sinatra and Ella both deteriorated noticeably as they aged, but Sarah Vaughan seemed immune to me.

gregmo

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I'm going to disagree with this one--not about "Swingin' Easy," which is a fine album, but about the last comment. Even though it deepened over the years, I always thought that Sassy's voice stayed remarkably pure and beautiful all the way up to the end. Indeed, amazingly so. Sinatra and Ella both deteriorated noticeably as they aged, but Sarah Vaughan seemed immune to me.

gregmo

Not to thread crap, but another one that astounded me in terms of keeping his chops in great shape is Tom Jones. Almost as powerful as 50 years ago.

I have the record in question on the Jazz Hour label cd. Is this the same variant as what you have?

• 1 month later...