Coleman Hawkins and Roland Hanna

Mark Stryker

One more Roland Hanna related question for folks: Are there any live recordings floating around of Roland with Coleman Hawkins, besides the appearance on the Art Ford Jazz Party television show that you can find on YouTube. It's clear there are no commercial recordings of them together, but are there bootlegs?

In John Chilton's "The Song of the Hawk" there is some discussion on pages 384 and 385 concerning a 1969(?) recording that Hawkins had done with Roland Hanna, Eddie Locke, Buddy Catlett and Norris Turney.  Chilton says "This session was speculatively organized by a friend of Roland Hanna's in the hope that a recording company would buy the tapes, but so far they remain unissued."  Unfortunately, there are no footnotes or other information provided concerning this session.  

3 hours ago, jazztrain said:

In John Chilton's "The Song of the Hawk" there is some discussion on pages 384 and 385 concerning a 1969(?) recording that Hawkins had done with Roland Hanna, Eddie Locke, Buddy Catlett and Norris Turney.  Chilton says "This session was speculatively organized by a friend of Roland Hanna's in the hope that a recording company would buy the tapes, but so far they remain unissued."  Unfortunately, there are no footnotes or other information provided concerning this session.  

Thanks. I've got some info on that. The friend was Bill Sorin, the guy who eventually founded IPO Records, and there was in fact a session, though it was earlier than '69 and Turney was not involved. I've talked to Bill and I've got more details; but I'm still sorting through it all and chasing some angles, so I don't want to say much more at this point, other than that for various reasons there was, unfortunately, nothing usable with Hawk that came out of the session.

A correction to my previous correction (now deleted): The exact date of the session remains a mystery. Sometime in 1968 is probably the best I'm going to be able to do. The March 25, 1969 date I thought might be correct is unlikely. I have, however, now heard some some of the solo piano material recorded at the date. 

Edited by Mark Stryker