Album covers with musicians' eyes closed in mediating or ecstatic state.

Dmitry

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Closed Eyes. Great stuff, especially because of the collaboration with Johnny Griffin. 
But it is a pity that it has such weak drumming. If there would have been Kenny Clarke or Art Taylor, who played and recorded with Bud in France, it really would have been some exiting thing. Maybe it´s a bit too much of the ugly hollerin and croaking of Bud. When he got back to Birdland he omitted this strange habit  and you hear the piano and not the vocal croaking...

But I´d like to say something about closed eyes. In the past I sometimes had that "habit" of closing my eyes while playing, and my wife who was in the audience said "cut the thing with the closed eyes out. People come to hear you AND to see you awake, not "sleeping" . And she was right. On stage it looks better if you don´t close the eyes.....

Herunterladen.jpg

On 20.1.2022 at 6:14 PM, Dub Modal said:

An opinion not shared by everyone. Personally I couldn't care less one way or the other 

Well, sure there are different opinios.

Relating the the pic posted from me with Bud, I like very much the video of Bud playing "Round Midnight" live at Copenhaga with Nils Orsted Pederson and Joern Elniff, where Bud seems to play the ballad for a nice woman in the audience. He looks at her and smiles as he plays that fantastic version of Midnight, some of the best he ever played, he really talks through the music. 
It´s not the only example of a more introverted player who looks at the audience while playing. It is reported that Hank Mobley also looked at the people for whom he played. And Miles Davis always kept his eyes open, you could see this even behind his huge sun glasses. But I remember I saw him playing without glasses also....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...