Album covers with musicians' eyes closed in mediating or ecstatic state.

Dmitry

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Now that is one unflattering photo.  Plus it gives the false impression, to any one who may have been unfamiliar with her style, that Ms. O'Day was some kind of shouter, which could not have been further from the truth

Sorry to intrude with a non-closed eyes cover but so you are talking about an unflattering cover photo of Anita O'Day?  ;)

How about THIS for a REALLY unflattering photo that - what is more - gives a TOTALLY false impression as to the contents?
This reissue includes the tracks Anita O'Day did for the Signature label in 1947 - recordings that normally are totally off the radar between her big band and Verve years. I bought the LP DESPITE the cover but this cover made me cringe, considering how much better and more in style it could have been done with a PERIOD photo and cover artwork (like others did with reissue LPs of 40s Musicraft masters, for example).

So all in all I don't find the Early Years reissue that bad. That photo just shows she puts her soul in the singing. ;)

28087705cv.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve