Blue Note LPs Never on CD

Teasing the Korean

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

What era Blue Note LPs are we considering in this query?

LP era in general, not necessarily early 10" collections of 78s.  Bobbi Humphrey/Gene Harris era is optional.  The re-launch era does not really interest me, for the purposes of this discussion. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I don't know if either Barbara Carroll 70s LPs (the first for actual Blue Note, the second for United Artists) ever made it to CD. Not that you'd necessarily want them to, at least for my tastes. But there are those who might?

Also not sure if The New Heritage Keyboard Quartet has come out yet...I thought maybe n Japan within the last few years, but am not sure about that. Mickey Tucker/Roland Hanna/Richard Davis/Eddie Gladden, less than the sum of its parts, but deep collectors/fans can find good reason to listen to it a few times.

And hey, how many Marlena Shaws remain un-CD-ed? They're a mixed lot, to put it mildly, but always as a matter of setting, never of talent.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't know if either Barbara Carroll 70s LPs (the first for actual Blue Note, the second for United Artists) ever made it to CD. Not that you'd necessarily want them to, at least for my tastes. But there are those who might?

Also not sure if The New Heritage Keyboard Quartet has come out yet...I thought maybe n Japan within the last few years, but am not sure about that. Mickey Tucker/Roland Hanna/Richard Davis/Eddie Gladden, less than the sum of its parts, but deep collectors/fans can find good reason to listen to it a few times.

And hey, how many Marlena Shaws remain un-CD-ed? They're a mixed lot, to put it mildly, but always as a matter of setting, never of talent.

I've got that Hanna/Tucker on LP -- agree with Jim's assessment. Great blindfold test record.

I actually felt bad about listening to it afterwards. KD just having a bad day, chopswise, simple as that. Kinda like when Willie Mays fell down chasing a fly when he was with the Mets, you don't want to see that, right? Only Willie was at the end of his career & KD still had some goods to deliver. all the more reason to just look away, really.

I used to have the Tucker/Hanna disc. I grabbed it eagerly when I came across it because of the BN imprint.  But it didn't warrant taking up valuable shelf space so it didn't last long in my collection.

Edited by JohnS

I was about to speculate about Chico Hamilton's two 70s BN LPs, but turns out they have made CD in Japan. Those are some more hot messes probably best appreciated by "curious" listeners who aren't looking for sustainable, intrinsic musical value.

Carmen McRae, what about her Blue Notes...so much of this stuff ends up being great leaders using great players to make not particularly good records...Damn you, George Butler, you could've had your cake and eaten it too except for that you weren't concerned with the cake in the first place, just with taking orders fro the bakery.

I think about a decade ago, there was talk that some Lou Mecca and or Urbie Green 10" thing remaining, and I think that's been taken care of somewhere?

Between Japan, Mosiac (particularly the Selects). I think we may be done here as far as the Albert Lion LP stuff goes. The post Lion/Pre George Butler era, there are probably some stragglers, though? Jack wilson? Reuben Wilson? Jimmy McGriff? Jack McDuff? I really couldn't tell you on that period, I have on either junked out LP or blogged MP3 of junked out LPs.