Ringling Bros. will shut down its circus

4 hours ago, Jazzmoose said:

Never had any interest, as I'm one of those people who can't stand clowns.  Red Skelton excepted.

Red Skelton was a favorite of mine also..

I went to the Ringling Bros. Circus when I was very young - probably three or four - but I have no real memory of seeing it. My mother told me that I shook hands with Emmett Kelly, but I don't remember that either.

22 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Return the animals to the wild 

I don't know that that would be advisable.  Animals who have been born/raised in captivity may not intuitively know the essential skills needed to survive on their on in the wild.  Hopefully, there are animal sanctuaries/preserves that can accept these animals and determine which ones would be likely to survive in the wild and which ones may need to be kept under some sort of human supervision/care.

14 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I don't know that that would be advisable.  Animals who have been born/raised in captivity may not intuitively know the essential skills needed to survive on their on in the wild.  Hopefully, there are animal sanctuaries/preserves that can accept these animals and determine which ones would be likely to survive in the wild and which ones may need to be kept under some sort of human supervision/care.

Nailed it. Returning captive bred animals to the wild would put them in grave danger.