Newport Jazz Festival 2017 tickets go on sale today!!!

Dmitry

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, paul secor said:

Mostly cringe worthy. imo.

Well, there are definitely some artsists I would see, and more that I wouldn't. Surprised to see so many solo piano concerts. Cheaper to book?

Still debating whether to go Saturday or Sunday, since it's under an hour's drive from me.

Edited by Dmitry

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

Mostly cringe worthy. imo.

I daresay that you didn't take a close look at the lineup.  To name but a few, they have Hudson (DeJohnette, Scofield, Medeski and Grenadier), Benny Golson, Henry Threadgill, Maria Schneider, Christian McBride, Jazz 100 (including Danilo Perez, Chris Potter, Ben Street and Adam Cruz), the Vijay Iyer/Wadada Leo Smith Duo (and Iyer leading his interesting new sextet), Joanne Brackeen, Marilyn Crispell, Jason Moran, Antonio Sanchez, Tim Berne and many other artists worth seeing.  While there are some acts meant to appeal to a broader audience and a fair amount of vocalists (including the delightful Cecile McLorin Salvant), I'm pretty shocked that any hardcore jazz fan could find the lineup cringe-worthy.

Edited by Justin V

• 2 years later...
On 6/28/2019 at 7:58 AM, AllenLowe said:

hey, Mark Stryker will be there. And Allison Miller's funky band.

Allen, we get it.  You don't like her, but you rarely have anything positive to say about other musicians you don't know personally.  It smacks of bitterness and jealousy at this point.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, BFrank said:

A lot of good stuff for sure, but THIS is the one that would get me there (if I lived on the East Coast):

Gary Bartz ANOTHER EARTH 50-Year Anniversary
featuring Ravi Coltrane & Special Guest Charles Tolliver

Friday is the day I'm going. The line-up is super-strong. I wish I could go on Saturday as well, but I've got a family gathering.

I'm really excited!

On 6/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, Justin V said:

Allen, we get it.  You don't like her, but you rarely have anything positive to say about other musicians you don't know personally.  It smacks of bitterness and jealousy at this point.

I want to point out that my original reaction to the above was an over-reaction, so I am editing it out. But this is the kind of stuff that has pushed me away from here in the past. I have certain opinions, other people have different opinions. We disagree and we discuss it, I don't accuse them of having ulterior motives for the opinions they hold, or imply deeply negative personal reasons for their holding those opinions. I lashed out, yes, because I was so deeply offended that anyone who knows me would suggest that I would be so intellectually dishonest. It is really offensive to me after having given nearly my whole life to this music, after all the personal sacrifices I have made and after all the musicians that I have helped, that anyone would even suggest such a thing. There is music I don't like, and I am not afraid to express my dislike for this music. My reasons  are honest and aesthetic, and that is it.

thank you.

Edited by AllenLowe

Allen, I don't see the problem with anything you written here at all. It's a forum.... 

The festival ain't what it used to be line-up-wise, I can't argue with that...but the musicians aren't what they used to be either. And neither are the audiences.

Edited by Dmitry

Where's Moms when we need him.:alien::ph34r:

People can like or dislike whatever they want to. It's all just opinion anyway, no matter how hard we try to intellectualize our positions. 

I like Allison Miller's music even if someone else doesn't. Hope that's O.K.!!

6 hours ago, Dmitry said:

The festival ain't what it used to be line-up-wise, I can't argue with that...but the musicians aren't what they used to be either. And neither are the audiences.

They should just rename some of these festivals. North Sea Smooth Lame-ass Whatever Festival 2019. 

After spending the fourth of July weekend at the Montreal "Jazz" Festival I am considering the possibility of going to Newport for the first time this year. My daughter has gone the past couple of years and enjoyed herself. If I go, I will only be able to make it on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Friday is the day when I’ll be there. Will take some photos.

• Herbie Hancock
  • Thundercat
  • Corinne Bailey Rae
  • The Bad Plus
  • Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marshall Allen
  • Gary Bartz ANOTHER EARTH 50-Year Anniversary featuring Ravi Coltrane
  • Kandace Springs
  • Women of the World
  • Spanish Harlem Orchestra
  • Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society
  • Billy Hart Quartet w/Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner & Ben Street
  • Tia Fuller’s “Diamond Cut”
  • DOMi & JD Beck
  • The Dayna Stephens Group
  • Mwenso & the Shakes
  • Alphonso Horne and the Gotham Kings
  • Tom Oren
  • Ben Morris Quintet (ASCAP Winner)
  • Mark Stryker: “Jazz from Detroit” 
  • Berklee Global Jazz Institute Workshop

Edited by Dmitry

On 7/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, jlhoots said:

Where's Moms when we need him.:alien::ph34r:

People can like or dislike whatever they want to. It's all just opinion anyway, no matter how hard we try to intellectualize our positions. 

I like Allison Miller's music even if someone else doesn't. Hope that's O.K.!!

On 7/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

+1, FWIW  ;)

On 7/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, Dmitry said:

Allen, I don't see the problem with anything you written here at all. It's a forum.... 

My point was that out of the whole listed lineup, Allen couldn't resist popping in to make a petty little dig at Miller on the heels of already expressing his negative opinion of her in another thread.  When his comments about current musicians whom he doesn't personally know are almost all negative, coupled with comments regarding his own career, it sounds like jealousy and bitterness.  The act is getting old.

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Friday is the day when I’ll be there. Will take some photos.

• Herbie Hancock
  • Thundercat
  • Corinne Bailey Rae
  • The Bad Plus
  • Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marshall Allen
  • Gary Bartz ANOTHER EARTH 50-Year Anniversary featuring Ravi Coltrane
  • Kandace Springs
  • Women of the World
  • Spanish Harlem Orchestra
  • Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society
  • Billy Hart Quartet w/Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner & Ben Street
  • Tia Fuller’s “Diamond Cut”
  • DOMi & JD Beck
  • The Dayna Stephens Group
  • Mwenso & the Shakes
  • Alphonso Horne and the Gotham Kings
  • Tom Oren
  • Ben Morris Quintet (ASCAP Winner)
  • Mark Stryker: “Jazz from Detroit” 
  • Berklee Global Jazz Institute Workshop

I would love to attend one day. But  every time I start to move beyond thinking about doing it to actually booking it, the task of getting from Dallas to Newport seems more complicated than I want to deal with, and I pick a simpler travel alternative.

21 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I would love to attend one day. But  every time I start to move beyond thinking about doing it to actually booking it, the task of getting from Dallas to Newport seems more complicated than I want to deal with, and I pick a simpler travel alternative.

Dallas-Providence is an easy flight. Newport is only a short ride from there. I can help with the logistics for next year.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, and will keep you posted on everything that goes on. There are twenty acts appearing on 4 stages, but I'm planing on catching just 4 or 5. Too bad the Arkestra is playing the early show, because my wife doesn't want to go that early. So I'm going to miss that. Otherwise, I'm planning on starting with Tia Fulle, the Spanish Harlem Orchestra, then Gary Bartz Another Earth 50th anniversary band [that's the one I really want to see], Thundercat, Billy Hart, and top it off with Herbie Hancock. Never seen him live.