Newport Jazz Festival 2017 tickets go on sale today!!!

Dmitry

1 minute ago, Dmitry said:

Dallas-Providence is an easy flight. Newport is only a short ride from there. I can help with the logistics for next year.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, and will keep you posted on everything that goes on. There are twenty acts appearing on 4 stages, but I'm planing on catching just 4 or 5. Too bad the Arkestra is playing the early show, because my wife doesn't want to go that early. So I'm going to miss that. Otherwise, I'm planning on starting with Tia Fulle, the Spanish Harlem Orchestra, then Gary Bartz Another Earth 50th anniversary band [that's the one I really want to see], Thundercat, Billy Hart, and top it off with Herbie Hancock. Never seen him live. 

I saw the Herbie Hancock group with Lionel Luecke, Terrace Martin, James Genus, and Vinnie Coliuta in New Orleans earlier this year; they are good but (at least at JazzFest) the sound was extremely loud (as in I had to wear earplugs which I don't like to do). 

I made it to Newport Friday. I arrived a little later than planned and missed most of the Sun Ra Arkestra, but I did catch about thirty minutes of Tia Fuller, the Gary Bartz 50th Anniversary of Another Earth, and the Billy Hart Quartet. I enjoyed all the sets I did hear, especially Bartz.