What music did you listen to after the inauguration (or the election)?

Utevsky

Many of us felt some pretty strong emotions when Trump was elected, and again when he was sworn in.  (I sure did, and still do!)  Some turned to music, hopefully jazz.  I am curious to know some examples of the music people chose to listen to at those times, whether to feed their emotional flames or to soothe their fevered brains.  Have you anything to report?

I'll start with one I pulled out:  The Art Ensemble of Chicago, "People in Sorrow."

people in sorrow.jpg

After the election I listened to Mac Wiseman doing the Albert E. Brumley song By the Side of the Road. Needed a positive message.

Chorus: I'd rather live by the side of the road

And try to point souls to the blessed abode

Than to be a king or a millionaire

And live in mansions in bright array

I'd rather do a neighborly deed

For a traveler here or a friend in need

I'd rather live by the side of the road

And help some pilgrim along life's way

Edited by Neal Pomea

The morning after the election, I had a dentist appointment and then went to work. Last Friday, I didn't have a dentist appointment and was going to take a sick day, but had to take some time off the week before to deal with our dog dying, that was - and remains - a real blow. Since it's only just January, I don't want to use too much sick time too soon, so I went to work and kept the headphones in most of the day.

As far as what I listened to, hell if I remember. If you really want to know, I tend to post in the What Are You Listening To NOW?!?!?!! threads. I pretty much listen to what I listen to without having the selection being influenced by worldly affairs. I got three or more buttloads full of backlog, and still go on artist-specific binges, which only makes the backlog worse. I mean, when Sonny Rollins dies, yeah, that's going to cause a reconsideration of things, since I will probably listen to Sonny Rollins for a few weeks solid. But as far as this other thing, hey, never mind "that time of the month", it's That Time Of The World, so proceed accordingly at every viable opportunity, not just when it comes time to play records.

In November I was too bummed to listen to much music.

Friday, I actually had the day off and did a podcast radio show wherein things like the Solidarity Unit and Love Cry Want were played. Spent most of the rest of the day doing errands and went to a birthday party, so I guess that was it for spinning albums.

Saturday I marched and watched a bad movie afterward.

Sunday, errands most of the afternoon and a few of the usual spins in the evening -- as with Sangrey, I just threw on whatever I was in the mood for or was new in the floor pile.

I went to DC for the inauguration with my teenage daughter. It was a wonderful lesson of American democratic process, for both of us.

Music-wise, the night prior, on the 19th, we had choice seats at the Kennedy Center, for the National Symphony Orchestra performing the following program Music Director Designate Gianandrea Noseda leads a celebration of America's musical landscape with works ranging from Copland's Lincoln Portrait with live narration by Tony Award(r)-winning actress Phylicia Rashad to Gershwin's beloved Rhapsody in Blue featuring "insightful [and] energetic" (The New York Times) pianist Jon Kimura Parker-

1.The Star-Spangled Banner 
--Stravinsky arrangement

2.John Williams-Music from the movie Lincoln

3.Aaron Copland-Lincoln Portrait

4.Leonard Bernstein-Fanfare for the Inauguration of JFK

5.John Williams-Suite from the movie, JFK

6.George Gershwin-Rhapsody in Blue

Encore was Billy Joel's Scenes from the Italian restaurant, performed solo by Jon Kimura Parker.

Also on that day we went to the newly-opened Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture. Only had time to visit the music section, which occupies the whole 4th floor of the museum. I'll post photos later.

Edited by Dmitry

Morning of inauguration: over eggs and ham, I played 'Freak Out' by Mothers of Invention (original 2-LP set on Verve)

Then I got outta the house to get away from TV.  Took a bunch of my de-listed collection LPs to a non-franchise thrift store, where I shelved them myself.

(It bugs me when the 'volunteer workers' siphon the good stuff before it gets put out in the bins.)  To be sure, there's wise guy 'flippers' everywhere.

And the most blatant hustler of 'em all just became President.