Sonny Rollins (Road Shows)--favorite tracks

Milestones

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

And let's not forget Norton Budlite, Ryan Boulachilli, Pam Wham, and Filadaeus Moclephony.

...while you could've been doing something productive. Like wood-shedding on a bridge nearby.

3 hours ago, Milestones said:

Dmitry, you are outnumbered and outgunned.   

Not so fast, cowboy. :P

21-2183-W1PCD00Z.jpg?ch=775&cw=775

Don't forget Saxophone Colostomy, the group of 29 high school saxophonists (of all creeds, colors, and orientations) who play Rollins solos (but only those from the 1950s, they've had all the others scientifically verified as unmusical by The National Bureau Of Standards, Waits, & Measures, so you know they got it right) transcribed for neutered parakeets & pitch-neutral piano, and who play so everything perfectly that their metronome beeps in perfect four-part unison! Best of all - as Legal Minors, they work for free, so anybody can afford them! Nobody feels cheated, therefore everybody is happy, of such things are Golden Ages born!

oh yes, that discussion whether Rollins was better when he did his BlueNotes, Prestige and the last achievement that would be worth listenin to might be "the Bridge".....I know that. Heard it so often.

But one nice aspect about it:

It was about 2000 and I was together with my wife and someone involved me into a discussion about music and musicians, I mentioned something about Rollins who just at that time was "in town"....., and that guy gives me that kind of look and says "I don´t like what Rollins has done since 1975" and turned away like if I had some disease and gone he was.

My wife who didn´t know much about jazz thought "1975" well thats so long ago, that´s really history, that´s when the wheel was invented...... and she  asked me "what ????? from 1975 on ???? 

She thought if you say you don´t like what somebody has done from ´75 on, you might better say you don´t like it at all cause who knows what was b e f o r e 1975 (smile)

Today, when I mention "Sonny Rollins" she still laughs and says "oh yeah, I know, the guy who lost it after .....what was the year........ 1 9 7 5 .....

• 5 weeks later...

I generally agree with those on this thread who think Road Shows Vol. 4 is an excellent Rollins album and perhaps the best of the Road Shows series.

BUT I do think the second track on Vol. 4 "Professor Paul" is very weak and subpar Rollins.

One more thing - the track "Disco Monk" ....I don't know about you but just the title for me is cringe-worthy and while Rollins has a number of Monk quotes in his solo....the "head" of the tune seems to me to have little to do with disco or Monk....but I like the track....just wish it had a different title.