Dave Brubeck "Compadres" LP Columbia CS-9704

Stonewall15

I've read that Mark Wilder digitized all of Brubeck's Columbia/Sony catalog and that there were plans to issue all of it in the form of those 5 CD "Original Album Classics" box sets that they started in 2010. The fact that they stopped after 2 boxes would seem to indicate that the money wasn't there. Then when they issued that "The Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection" box set, I was thinking a "The Complete Columbia Live Albums Collection" was next. I just think the CD market is on its way out.

JSngry- I do not know if the CD exists- I am just hoping that it does. Based on above comments I now doubt it. I do have a quite good CDR so I just would like to have the actual CD for completeness purposes, as I have all the rest of the Brubeck Columbia/Sony CDs.

Kevin- I sure hope the jazz CD market is not on the way out. The problem is, I think, that most of the jazz from the 40's, 50's, and 60's has been reissued on CD and now CD producers are digging at the bottom of the barrel. 

It was surprising to me that two albums which Dave Brubeck personally did not like and was firmly against ever being reissued -- Jackpot! and The Last Time We Saw Paris -- were reissued by Sony Japan, and yet this Brubeck/Mulligan album has not been.

Does a performer usually have any say-so with a record company regarding the legitimate reissuing of his/her recorded works?  Or can a record company reissue an album to which they have the rights, against the personal wishes of the artist, so long as they as they pay the appropriate royalties?  (Let's leave the European public domain reissues out of the equation.)  The two albums I mentioned were not reissued during Mr. Brubeck's lifetime, but I don't know if he had any actual "veto" power to have been able to prevent that from happening.

9 hours ago, duaneiac said:

It was surprising to me that two albums which Dave Brubeck personally did not like and was firmly against ever being reissued -- Jackpot! and The Last Time We Saw Paris -- were reissued by Sony Japan, and yet this Brubeck/Mulligan album has not been.

Does a performer usually have any say-so with a record company regarding the legitimate reissuing of his/her recorded works?  Or can a record company reissue an album to which they have the rights, against the personal wishes of the artist, so long as they as they pay the appropriate royalties?  (Let's leave the European public domain reissues out of the equation.)  The two albums I mentioned were not reissued during Mr. Brubeck's lifetime, but I don't know if he had any actual "veto" power to have been able to prevent that from happening.

It would depend on the recording contract, but probably not part of the practice when Brubeck was recording.  If the artist owns the masters then he would have more control.

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Interesting. . . I've never seen a cd of The Last Time We Saw Paris from Sony. Jackpot and Brubeck in Amsterdam were released in the last few years. . . but I can't find any reference to The Last Time We Saw Paris.

Perhaps I am wrong about that, but I thought I read somewhere that it was reissued.  It's not an album I've clamored after, even in a used vinyl version.