R.I.P.Mary Tyler Moore

Wow -- this was sad and stunning news to me!  I spent so many Saturday nights as a teen in the company of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett. I guess that was my "Golden Age of Television".

MTM was a very talented actress and comedienne and it is a testament to her ability that she was a part of two of the most iconic sitcoms in television history. 

Thank you Mary Tyler Moore for many hours of laughter.  You made my world a better place back when I was a kid and even today.  RIP.

Watching Mary grow the Laura Petrie character over the Van Dyke show's run is pretty amazing, actually. She started out as more or less unsure about what to do, then figured it out, then ran with it. By the end, she was every bit Van Dyke's equal for physical movements, facial subtleties, vocal inflections (beyond the obvious ones that she always had)....her and Van Dyke could both dance, and sometimes watching a Rob & Laura conversation had all the elements of a dance routine.

Yeah, I had a crush on her, and one that never went away, if anything, it grew. But it grew because the older I got, the more I watched her work, the more I saw that this woman had skills, deep skills, and she respected them in herself as well as in others. She knew what she had, and she knew what others had - or didn't have.

So long, Mary.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Watching Mary grow the Laura Petrie character over the Van Dyke show's run is pretty amazing, actually. She started out as more or less unsure about what to do, then figured it out, then ran with it. By the end, she was every bit Van Dyke's equal for physical movements, facial subtleties, vocal inflections (beyond the obvious ones that she always had)....her and Van Dyke could both dance, and sometimes watching a Rob & Laura conversation had all the elements of a dance routine.

Yeah, I had a crush on her, and one that never went away, if anything, it grew. But it grew because the older I got, the more I watched her work, the more I saw that this woman had skills, deep skills, and she respected them in herself as well as in others. She knew what she had, and she knew what others had - or didn't have.

So long, Mary.

Great post. 

It's funny, I grew up watching The Dick Van Dyke Show and thought it was entertaining in a goofy, mindless way. It was really astonishing to revise the show as an adult and realize just how fucking amazing it really was. Just a powerhouse of unbelievably talented actors, and some of the best comedic writing of all time. That was my first exposure to the GREAT Jerry Van Dyke, as well. 

That's the beauty of having these bigass TV screens to look at now, when you get a quality version of an old show, the details are a lot more easier to notice, especially when it comes to the more subtle physical/body things. Watching an ensemble cast have not just a collective verbal rhythm but a collective physical rhythm is a real treat.