What passes for jazz vocals these days is pitiful

mAJA rIOS

:o

Edited by mAJA rIOS
Im not going to name names but the eorse sone singers sing in chicago area, the more gigs they get.. They have small voices, no soul, dont swing, fo mostly ballads in a sing sobg vouce with no originality if sound or content. Jazz is a style not a song

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

No need to be insulting. I'm aware of who Ms. Rios is. My point was that it seems odd and a bit off-putting to introduce yourself to a new community by disparaging others. 

This is not a large, formal corporation where you have to pay your dues for a long time before you can speak out. If a new member wants to raise a strong point, I say good for them.

I have noticed that there are some current vocalists who sing in what I think of as Manhattan Transfer-lite. It is a corny, lightly swinging, cutesy style which drives me up a wall. Compared to the true artistry of jazz vocalists who were around in the 1970s when I started going to jazz concerts regularly, these singers are less than a pale imitation of what used to be.

I don't agree with the original statement either, I think Thana Alexa, Gretchen Parlato, Beata Pater are all vocalists who challenge the OP's contention.  I checked out Ms. Rios on YT, she has a  wide range of material, from traditional ("Lover Man") to contemporary (Blackbyrds "Walking In Rhythm") but maybe starting a thread with such a statement is just discussion fodder? I don't think its the best way to introduce yourself on a forum either

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not necessarily off-putting. Fiesty, perhaps! Which is why I was after specifics...and I might very well agree with her....too many lounge/cabaret/pop singers thinking they're "jazz" just because of the songs they sing. It's an epidemic, I tell you.

I kind of agree with her too.

Strong Jeanne Lee influence on this cut.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

such an intro is a good way of raising your profile at the very least

I'm tempted to mention stones and glass houses having listened to this

People pay good money to hear MUCH worse than this. 

Edited by Dmitry

From what I've heard here, I wouldn't buy any of Ms. Rios' recordings, but I agree that there are a lot of lame singers out there. Perhaps we need a thread entitled contemporary jazz singers who aren't pitiful.

I should also say that I don't have a problem with anyone who is new to these forums speaking their mind. As far as I know, there's not a waiting period here where you have to walk on eggshells so as not to offend anyone.

11 hours ago, sonnymax said:

"What passes for jazz vocals these days is pitiful"

Funny, I feel the same way about newbies who begin by criticizing others.  ;)

Not a newbie honey

I was referring to mostly local singers who have made the art form stagnant. It needs a shot in the arm...not just old standards..I do pieces of the , Jazz pie, blues, r&b, etc all which are part of jazz...i bring soul to the table and that was my point... The great singers of old brought soul to the table like lady day, little Jimmy scott, water phillips, Dakota staton, etc who sings like that anymore?

Ester phillips,