What passes for jazz vocals these days is pitiful

mAJA rIOS

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, nice! I didn't know her. Thank you for pointing her out. She plays multiple instruments I see, autoharp included. I looked into one some time ago but they are quite expensive, so I didn't get one yet.  I see Efraïm among her sidemen. He's a great player. I talked to him when he was playing in Enkhuizen last year.

7 hours ago, flat5 said:

This lady sings jazz standards and many other types of songs. She is an excellent swing big band singer but is mostly doing other things these days.

Ah, with my good friend Robert Rook on piano :) This singer is from Vilnius, Lithuania.

She studied 'Masters of Jazz Singing' and 'Performance' at the Amsterdam Conservatory and has a Bachelor's Degree in Jazz Vocals, Music Theory, Jazz Flute studied at the Royal Conservatory. And some more...

Edited by Cyril

FWIW, some of my favorite vocalists on the scene today are Sarah Elizabeth Charles in NYC and Nicole Saphos (also a bassist), Lena Seikaly and Danielle Wertz in DC. The latter two were both semifinalists in the last Monk competition, but did not make the finals, which I found baffling.

Bertrand.