Weather Report--Live and Unreleased

Milestones

Let's just say I'm glad they released this 2-CD set.  I've been trying to get into Weather Report all my (adult) life.  I have gotten into some stuff, but a lot of it never did much for me.  I came into jazz basically through fusion records, so WR was included early in my collection (albeit not a high quantity).

Of the records I've heard before this one, I think I like the very first one best--possibly because of its In a Silent Way/Bitches Brew vibe (though with rather brief tracks).

But this live record shows a band crackling with energy--a group firing on all cylinders. I never saw WR live, and that is certainly my loss.  Here are Zawinul so inventive on keyboards, Shorter sounding like the true co-leader (lots of prominence on tenor and soprano, and killing it time and again), fine bass work (and not just Jaco), and the percussion keeping those grooves going.  It's a record (2 records) to enjoy from first track to last.  

5 hours ago, BFrank said:

Not being a big Jaco fan, I would be interested in hearing more pre-Jaco live performances. I have "Live in Tokyo", but that's just scratching the surface.

I'm with you, prefer Miroslav Vitous and Alphonso Johnson eras, up through "Tale Spinnin'".