Jazz In Paris

philtenb

So, I've been listening to this new batch (that I finally got hold of late last month), and there is some really good music here. The Lewis/Distel album has some great Barney Wilen on it. The Bechet features Vogue material, a septet from '52 and a sextet from '49--good sound, and Bechet seems to be having fun. I particularly liked the Ellington Alhambra stuff from October '58--good Hodges on that one. Roger Guerin is excellent on the "Hard Bop" album, and the Urtreger trio, recorded for tiny little Vega at the Club St. Germain in 1960, is a very fine trio album. The Mobley and Gordon records I got because I'm a JinP completist, but they sound just fine. The Django is a compilation. Have yet to listen to the Arvanitas and Barclay records.

I love this series. Hope it continues! They definitely have "cheaped" down the packaging a bit. As Lon noted, the digipacs have been replaced by gatefold paper sleeves, and the liner notes are now in French alone--no English translations. Full discographical info is still there, though. More! More!

gregmo

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2.5.2018 at 6:09 PM, gmonahan said:

I'm bumping this one to see if there has been any more action with it. Can some of our friends on the European side of the pond tell us whether there is any new life in it?  It's a great series!

gregmo

No news as far as I am aware of ...

The Ellington may have been surplused by the Fremeaux set, but I've been unable to determine how exactly they (in my case the Pablo and the Fremeaux, I skipped the JiP one) relate. Rather superficial info, surely on purpose.

Pablo/Fantasy:

61UovBB1a2L._SL1500_.jpg

51ZE7%2B%2BWDAL._SL1500_.jpg

JiP is identical I think.

Fremeaux:

61LpNYBWkFL._SL1500_.jpg

Some info here:

https://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=64&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1819&option=com_virtuemart

Also saw this one on Laserlight for the first time ... the SACD editions sometimes (always?) where shortened editions on one disc from two disc CD editions as far as I know (bought an SACD by mistake once and was pissed):

51UEyi1shbL._SL1500_.jpg

The CD listing on aFR doesn't have a tracklist, doesn't even tell if its a double (someone not on vacation an restricted to dumbophone can certainly figure out that part)

Ok, two ... earlier CD edition:

https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-Alhambra-29-Octobre-1958-Part-1/release/11087005

https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-Alhambra-29-Octobre-1958-Part-2/release/11087092

Same as Fremeaux? (Not doing that myself on phone)

Fantasy/Pablo/JiP fully included? (Note: Fremeaux says it covers multiple nights ... so: different versions?)

On 5/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, king ubu said:

No news as far as I am aware of ...

The Ellington may have been surplused by the Fremeaux set, but I've been unable to determine how exactly they (in my case the Pablo and the Fremeaux, I skipped the JiP one) relate. Rather superficial info, surely on purpose.

Pablo/Fantasy:

61UovBB1a2L._SL1500_.jpg

51ZE7%2B%2BWDAL._SL1500_.jpg

JiP is identical I think.

Fremeaux:

61LpNYBWkFL._SL1500_.jpg

Some info here:

https://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=64&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1819&option=com_virtuemart

Also saw this one on Laserlight for the first time ... the SACD editions sometimes (always?) where shortened editions on one disc from two disc CD editions as far as I know (bought an SACD by mistake once and was pissed):

51UEyi1shbL._SL1500_.jpg

The CD listing on aFR doesn't have a tracklist, doesn't even tell if its a double (someone not on vacation an restricted to dumbophone can certainly figure out that part)

Ok, two ... earlier CD edition:

https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-Alhambra-29-Octobre-1958-Part-1/release/11087005

https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-Alhambra-29-Octobre-1958-Part-2/release/11087092

Same as Fremeaux? (Not doing that myself on phone)

Fantasy/Pablo/JiP fully included? (Note: Fremeaux says it covers multiple nights ... so: different versions?)

Thanks Ubu. I'm away from my collection right now, or I'd check on the Alhambra material. Sure wish they'd continue with that series!

gregmo

Well, it is a mess ... the two Laserlights are fully covered by the Frémeaux (CD1 plus CD2#1-2) it seems, then contains a whole bunch of addiitonal tracks (CD2#3 to end). The Fantasy/Universal Alhambra disc contains a few tracks not on the Frémeaux then, and also a "Rockin' in Rhythm" (without "Kinda Dukish"? I didn't double check) that may be different ...

Bottom line: I don't really trust the info provided by these releases (dates/venues) ... not sure anyone has cleaned this up (the DEPanorama site just lists the Fantasy disc for instance, didn't check Lord or Bruyninckx yet).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2017-02-15 at 5:38 AM, Gheorghe said:

well it´s the music that counts, but IMHO it´s strange to see classic BN recordings, Hank and Dex with Bud with non BN album covers. Though I´m first interested in the music, listening to BN-records in my case is a philosophy of it´s own, it´s the whole thing, the original liner notes, the Frank Wolff fotografies , the cover art......, I listen to BN record when I´m in that special mood to sit down, have time and "study" the whole thing, each record an artistic workout....

Very late to this thread.  I've been hooked on the Jazz in Paris series for some time now, getting all of the "late" releases up through through 2008, but there is something about the large number of BN sessions showing up in this batch that really spoils it for me.  I guess the spell has been broken.  There is a small but non-zero chance that I'd get the Georges Arvanitas one just for old times' sake (and I do enjoy the cover photo), but I think I'll pass on the rest. 

Maybe in another 10 years they'll issue Jazz et Cinema vol 6...