Jazz In Paris

philtenb

News reissues in the legendary "Jazz In Paris" collection announced in France for march,10 :

* Eddie Barclay - Et voila !

* Georges Arvanitas - Soul jazz

* Art Farmer - Hard Bop

* Dexter Gordon - Our man in Paris

* John Lewis/Sacha Distel - Afternoon in Paris

* Hank Mobley - The Flip

* Django Reinhardt - Plays Django

* Duke Ellington - At the Alhambra

* Daniel Humair - Hum !

* Sidney Bechet - Petite fleur

With the same design (photos of Paris)...

You listen to the music, not the cover, but it's too bad the reissue does not use the cover for "Afternoon in Paris," a marvelous cover to preview the wonders within.

Does anyone have information about the Art Farmer title listed as "Hard Bop," such as original label, cover, etc.?

thank you

5 hours ago, bakeostrin said:

You listen to the music, not the cover, but it's too bad the reissue does not use the cover for "Afternoon in Paris," a marvelous cover to preview the wonders within.

Particularly since there ARE period photos (like they use for the covers of this series) taken in more or less the same spot that would be in style with the series and at the same time would convey an impression of the original cover.

I'd like the Arvanitas reissue to be the first of his two Pretoria LPs (the facsimile reissue of this one escaped me at the time) but I doubt it.

amazon.fr has the track lists and cover photographs so one can reverse-engineer the contents. "Hard Bop" contains two sessions, the Roger Guerin Session which is on Benny Golson and the Philadelphians (no Art Farmer) and 4 tracks from the Vogue Sessions by Hampton's sidemen featuring Art Farmer, see here:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N2REH1O/

the Arvanitas is a 1960 Quintet Album with Bernard Vitet and Francois Jeanneau... and the cover of Afternoon in Paris is really quite weak compared to the original

91D7gmTr4iL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Niko

12 hours ago, Niko said:

amazon.fr has the track lists and cover photographs so one can reverse-engineer the contents. "Hard Bop" contains two sessions, the Roger Guerin Session which is on Benny Golson and the Philadelphians (no Art Farmer) and 4 tracks from the Vogue Sessions by Hampton's sidemen featuring Art Farmer, see here:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N2REH1O/

the Arvanitas is a 1960 Quintet Album with Bernard Vitet and Francois Jeanneau... and the cover of Afternoon in Paris is really quite weak compared to the original

91D7gmTr4iL._SL1500_.jpg

Post a url on this one for amazon.fr, will you? For some bizarre reason, no matter how I "phrase" it, I can't find the Jazz in Paris reissue on the site, only the original!

gregmo

Thanks very much for the information.  By the way, that Guerin cd has been reissued:

http://ateliersawano.com/reissue-titles

with Leloir photo; unsure if that is the original  cover; the Golson on Blue Note combining Philadelphians (originally) on UA (and reissued w/original cover in Japan) with the Guerin features Golson only (didn't realize it had the Guerin session)

Also, same Japanese  company atelier sawano also issued "Soul Jazz" w/what looks like original cover (too bad these are digipaks; I try to avoid them).

Edited by bakeostrin
Arvanitas reference

The Roger Guerin session originally appeared on a French Columbia ten-incher. The Sawano reissue uses the same Leloir photo of Guérin for its cover.

Missing from the BN Golson reissue on CD was one track 'Not Serious' that had vibist Michel Hausser but no Golson.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 7:46 PM, bakeostrin said:

Thanks very much for the information.  By the way, that Guerin cd has been reissued:

http://ateliersawano.com/reissue-titles

with Leloir photo; unsure if that is the original  cover; the Golson on Blue Note combining Philadelphians (originally) on UA (and reissued w/original cover in Japan) with the Guerin features Golson only (didn't realize it had the Guerin session)

Also, same Japanese  company atelier sawano also issued "Soul Jazz" w/what looks like original cover (too bad these are digipaks; I try to avoid them).

I have their 10in vinyl release of the Guerin title. Its an excellent package with what I imagine is period correct flip / fold jacket. The cover art is excellent, as is the session.

On 30.1.2017 at 8:28 AM, brownie said:

The Roger Guerin session originally appeared on a French Columbia ten-incher. The Sawano reissue uses the same Leloir photo of Guérin for its cover.

Missing from the BN Golson reissue on CD was one track 'Not Serious' that had vibist Michel Hausser but no Golson.

... and the rest of the "Hard Bop" disc was on "Bebop in Paris Vol. 2" from the "Original Vogue Masters" series (including an alternate take of one of the four tracks and some other related tracks), admittedly not easy to find.

Will definitely get the Arvanitas, probably the Barclay, not sure about any others.

Very odd batch.

Anyone has checked what's on the Bechet and on the Django?

well it´s the music that counts, but IMHO it´s strange to see classic BN recordings, Hank and Dex with Bud with non BN album covers. Though I´m first interested in the music, listening to BN-records in my case is a philosophy of it´s own, it´s the whole thing, the original liner notes, the Frank Wolff fotografies , the cover art......, I listen to BN record when I´m in that special mood to sit down, have time and "study" the whole thing, each record an artistic workout....

• 1 month later...

Now playing Hank Mobley, "The Flip" (Jazz in Paris version released this month). Seems to match the mastering of the Connoisseur edition released by Blue Note in 2003; this edition has a production credit of 2003 for Blue Note Records, though it does say "Mastering coordinated by Francois de Xuan". . . . Too bad they didn't use the recent Japanese mastering . . . that is superior.

Earlier today I played "Hard Bop" and "Django Reinhardt plays Django"--both sound excellent to me on my system.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 months later...