Jazz compositions inspired by painting.

Hardbopjazz

Earlier this month I saw Buster Williams and his band Something More. The band played a piece written by Buster Williams called "The Ninth Wave." Buster said he was inspired to write the piece after he saw the painting "The Ninth Wave" by 19th century Russian artists Ivan Aivazovsky. Art inspires art to paraphrase what Buster Williams was telling the audience. Below is the painting. Can you think of any other paintings that inspired jazz musicians to compose some music? 

Image result

So it's particular paintings rather than artists?  I was going to say several pieces by Jim Hall, but these are artists rather than specific paintings.  Chasing Paint by Jane Ira Bloom is inspired by Jackson Pollock, but generally rather than specifically.

Also of note: Portrait in Seven Shades by Ted Nash.

6 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Earlier this month I saw Buster Williams and his band Something More. The band played a piece written by Buster Williams called "The Ninth Wave." Buster said he was inspired to write the piece after he saw the painting "The Ninth Wave" by 19th century Russian artists Ivan Aivazovsky. Art inspires art to paraphrase what Buster Williams was telling the audience. Below is the painting. Can you think of any other paintings that inspired jazz musicians to compose some music?

Aivazovsky is considered one of the top artists in history who painted bodies of water. Do a search of his painting of the Niagara Falls. I've been to his museum in Yalta, Crimea, when I was little. Amazing giant canvases.

Returning to the topic -

Joe Harriott - Abstract

114723525.jpg