Michael White, R.I.P.

mikeweil

Just learned from the newsletter of the German Jazz Institute that Michael White passed away on December 6, 2016 - I couldn't find any mention of this on the forum. Please forgive me in case I am mistaken. There is a loving obituary written by his wife, Leisei Chen: 

http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-spiritual-jazz-master-leisei-chens-tribute-to-violinist-michael-white-7816066

I really loved his Impulse LPs, have them all - such positive spirits his music projected. 

michael-white-leisei-chen.jpg

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Do you mean more than what was in the lovely obit? 

Well, yeah. Lovely as it was (and it was lovely), all I get is that he met his wife in 1993, made a record with her in 2003, formed a quintet, did a C.O.L.A. fellowship project in 2013, and had a long bout with emphysema (which really sucks). That's it really. Did the band work locally a lot, or tour, did he have a teaching gig, other than these once every decade events of not, what was he up to?

I only wonder because his was a marvelous talent, although I thought his last impulse! work got a little too soft. But hey.