Dizzy and Friends. A Tribute to Charlie Parker

Hardbopjazz

• 10 months later...

Was hard to find that thread again, searched with different combinations, but finally:

Yes, I got it on chrismas eve. Listened to it yesterday.

Fantastic. They really cook. And as a drums fan it´s natural I´m delighted by the participation of Philly Joe Jones, he really lifts up the whole thing.

Dizzy is in top form. Not the slightests signs of loosing the chops due to age. James Moody impressed me most on flute. Milt Jackson was not only a wizzard of the vibes, but a master of ballads, listen to his "If I should loose you".

Get Happy is at an ultra fast tempo, that´s bop at it´s best.

I think Philly J.J didn´t record or play so much with Diz, and never heard of a combination between him and Ray Brown. Maybe it´s the different directions they went in the 50´s. Ray Brown after being the most important bop bassist after Oscar Pettiford, became Oscar Peterson´s man, and Philly J.J. became Miles´ drummer. So maybe they didn´t have much in common for many years......

Ray Brown´s solo feature the medley Manha de Carnaval/Work Song is fantastic, and don´t forget Mr. Hank Jones. Beautiful, the Gentleman of the piano.......