Allen Lowe at JALC (Jazz & Education)

Not sure where to put this (jazz education?) but mods could move it...

Anyway, Allen Lowe is giving a four-part listen and lecture series at JALC here in New York. The first one focused on ragtime, gospel, country and minstrel music and was last night (Feb. 1). The next installation (modern jazz evolution) is at 7 PM on March 1. April and May dates are TBD.

Allen is a great, loose and conversational lecturer and the musical examples were stunning. I recommend this series highly. 

These events are free for all and it occurs at the education room on the 5th floor of the 60th/B'way JALC/Dizzy's building.

Would maybe like to hear the backstory about how this gig came about, given Allen's, uh..."disagreement" with Wynton about minstrelsy and the big picture a while back.

No matter, glad to hear that solid alternative views to the JALC orthodoxy are being given exposure within their confines.

The guy who seems to run the education department had been following Allen's music & writing, and they struck up a conversation which turned into this series. That's how I understand it, anyway. FWIW he's (I assume it's the same person) also had Schaap and Ben Young teach/lecture/play recordings over the years.