Mats Gustafsson's vinyl collection!

David Ayers

"It's all good" is an idiomatic expression that does not mean that it's "all" going to automatically be "good", much less excellent. Most shit ends up being excitingly mediocre to varying degrees. So no,  it's not all literally good. And neither am I so hungry that I could eat a horse. Nor are my eyes bigger than my stomach. Nor have I ever had a day where everything goes wrong. And not having a valid baseline from which to measure, I am skeptical that I've ever felt like I've been hit by a truck or knocked down with a feather.

It does, however, imply that good is anywhere you find it, which is not necessarily where you would think to reflexively look for it, especially not necessarily where one is externally steered to spend disposable income in search of it.

So, if anything, consider it a corrective admonition to the sectarian fabulist orthodoxy.

And don't ask me what "good" is, because all I'll tell you is what I think. You can have that for what it's worth, and here's change back from your penny!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a manager of a record store in Chicago,
a musician friend I worked with would grab a random
record out of the bins and wave it in the air and say
that somebody, somewhere would think that it was
one of the best damn albums ever made. I laughed.
After the blossoming of the Internet, I'm more inclined
to believe him.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

"It's all good" is an idiomatic expression that does not mean that it's "all" going to automatically be "good", much less excellent. Most shit ends up being excitingly mediocre to varying degrees. So no,  it's not all literally good.

ok. but if you're not sure, i can send you this beach boys hits compilation that i had when i was a kid... it made me hate them forever.

EndlessSummerBBCover.jpg

what they love, like almost all other successful rock, pop, and country acts, is that they make a good living because the unsuspecting public is too lazy to search for real music, and instead have to be satisfied with whatever is thrown at them through the radio, mtv, and movie soundtracks. and all the money probably makes them think that they do have talent.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

I once owned this:

THE-CRAMPS-Bikini-Girls-with-machine-gir

I still do! - and I have the t-shirt as well!

Seriously. I do.

...as for Endless Summer - probably, next to Marvin Gaye's Anthology,
one of the best compilations 1974 had to offer. Great pre-Pet Sounds work.

Edited by rostasi

11 hours ago, l p said:

what they love, like almost all other successful rock, pop, and country acts, is that they make a good living because the unsuspecting public is too lazy to search for real music, and instead have to be satisfied with whatever is thrown at them through the radio, mtv, and movie soundtracks. and all the money probably makes them think that they do have talent.

OK, so Mats will plead guilty for possession of that "Smile Sessions" box set (although the defence will emphasise that a certain Dutch dealer has been offering copies everywhere for ridiculous prices).

But he's not too lazy to search for real music, on the contrary, he's playing real music himself.

12 hours ago, l p said:

ok. but if you're not sure, i can send you this beach boys hits compilation that i had when i was a kid... it made me hate them forever.

EndlessSummerBBCover.jpg

:D I admit I had understood you exactly the other way round. Bashing Little Richard and going all excited over the Beach Boys - another one of those who can't praise "Pet Sounds" enough. (iIt CAN happen .... ;))

Anyway, greatness is in the ear of the behearer - always, and "tin ears" are not always where those who use that term to bash others' tastes think they are.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Every now and then I need to watch those Little Richard live sessions, they are so incredible!

I wish some of the rarer records of Mats' collection were more widely available. On a saturday I will track some in the vinyl archives of the Musical Mediatheque of Paris (public library), I've been meaning to do this for a while. One can listen to them on location.

The last owner of a local restaurant that I used to make CDs for
requested that I don't include Beach Boys stuff. Her only connection
with them was on a rather superficial level tho, so it could be
understandable. I've no problem with surf music - especially
the grittier forms of both early and ultra-modern styles (volumes
of really fine compilations exist!).

Also, we've been taking care of a "porch kitty" and when our "Lux"
gets all worked up about his presence outdoors, we just explain to
him that it's his friend "Lux Exterior." :D

Mats has that wonderful FMP box set.
Good to see that beautiful thing!

I had a person I regularly played EAI-ish type music with tell me one day that they hated the Beach Boys because they used major 7th chords, and this person hated major 7th chords period. Keeping in mind that this was a very skilled, trained, experience, and usually astute player, I allowed him that as an earned quirk, but...really?