• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, rostasi said:

I've no problem with surf music - especially
the grittier forms of both early and ultra-modern styles (volumes
of really fine compilations exist!).

Names/labels/links for said compilations, please? I would like to explore but know not where to start. Especially interested in earlier things.

46 minutes ago, lipi said:

Names/labels/links for said compilations, please? I would like to explore but know not where to start. Especially interested in earlier things.

There were several CD series (but you would have to check availability and search a bit - some will probably be OOP and only be available secondhand):

- The Birth of Surf (3 volumes) on the (UK) Ace label (a label that spells quality)

- Rare Surf (6 volumes)

- Lost Legends of Surf Guitar (4 volumes) on the Sundazed label

Experts of early surf will probably be able to give you more information.

I've spoken to Mats at shows. His tastes are pretty broad. As record collections go, I've seen many large ones and many that focus on free jazz but I would rank his as among the most interesting. He has many titles that you just don't see, they're on a whole different scale of scarcity than what makes up a typical good jazz record collection.

One thing I love about visiting another collector is once in a while when they pull out something that is completely out of the blue that has a good story behind it and is in a style that I appreciate or even specialize in, but I just wasn't aware of. In a good collection you might expect to find just a few of those, but even just one is something to be savored and remembered.

For example, to a fan of free jazz or experimental music, I used to have about 6 of those, but now due to some unlikely reissues it's down to maybe 3 or 4. I love those so much more than a shelf of original Blue Notes or modern 45rpm pressings. My tastes being what they are, I can tell it would take considerable time to go through all the ones just of that type that Mats has.