David Ayers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BillF:
Compared to that Brazilian who has an entire warehouse crammed full? :g

But I liked this ...

How many records are we talking about here?
Two and a half tonnes.
What does that equate to in numbers?
Forty-seven metres. I refuse to guess the number, only amateurs do that.

Got to remember that the next time people ask me.

I still have quite some way to go to catch up with him, though it's more meters than I had figured and his weight calculation gives me the creeps, figuring the load that is on that wall in my house ... :o:lol:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Actually, there's about twice that in those vertical slots.
Mine are about three-quarters the width - possibly
two-thirds (hard to tell with the camera angle) and
I can fit 150 to 175, so, yes, I'm going with 200 each
making it closer to 10G. Still, very impressive that he
has some really choice stuff in there - not just mostly
flea market stuff. I wish I could keep mine in one spot,
but there's some advantages to having them out of
sight (out of mind). ;)

when you click on the photos, there is an arrow on the right to see more photos. the most useful ones for this exercise are these 2. i see only about 100 per vertical slot.

MatsCollection_ByZigaKoritnik2016_5-1024

here's the original link to a larger sized version of the above

https://db9gj0e1kg167.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MatsCollection_ByZigaKoritnik2016_5-1024x683.jpg

MatsCollection_ByZigaKoritnik2016_10-102

and a larger version of this one

https://db9gj0e1kg167.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MatsCollection_ByZigaKoritnik2016_10-1024x681.jpg

Edited by l p

@ lp / clifford thornton / rostasi:

It think it Is way more than 5000.

Not wanting to brag one bit, but I have about 7,000 LPs, 1,000 45s and 1,000 78s (in fact the last time I counted them I did it the way Rostasi suggested - measuring the space taken up by 100 LPs and then multiplying).  Altogether they take up about 30 running meters. That's quite a bit less than Gustafsson's 47 meters.
My LPs, in particular, ARE a tight fit on the shelves (too tight in places - storage space running out ...) but not THAT much tighter than what I see in those pictures. I'd say that at best I'd be able to fit in about 20% more if I stored them somwhat looser the way Mats Gustafsson did.
So I'd definitely say his are at least 10,000.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Very impressive collection and do like also the tailor made room/furniture .... otherwise its sort  of a private museum with the owner - like all us mere mortals -having also just a 24 hour day and the possibility to listen to one record at a time .... 

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Very impressive collection and do like also the tailor made room/furniture .... otherwise it' sort a private museum with the owner - like all us mere mortals -having also just a 24 hour day and the possibility to listen to one record at a time .... 

There is a moment that we record collectors all reach sooner or later when we realize that there are records in our collection that we  definitely will never again listen to for the rest or our life (simply because there won't be enough time). The problem, though, is: Which ones? We will never know. Because we will never know what we will exactly listen to in our future listening hours. But we'd like to BE ABLE to listen to them. So we keep all of them anyway (at least those we bascially do want to keep). Inevitable ... such is life ... :D

And - no, I for one don't believe in working off my records in a bookkeeper's fashion. I have bought secondhand records before where the inner sleve carried handwritten dates which apparently were those where the previous owner listened to that particular record. Not for me ...

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

There is a moment that we record collectors all reach sooner or later when we realize that there are records in our collection that we  definitely will never again listen to for the rest or our life (simply because there won't be enough time). The problem, though, is: Which ones? We will never know. Because we will never know what we will exactly listen to in our future listening hours. But we'd like to BE ABLE to listen to them. So we keep all of them anyway (at least those we bascially do want to keep). Inevitable ... such is life ... :D

And - no, I for one don't believe in working off my records in a bookkeeper's fashion. I have bought secondhand records before where the inner sleve carried handwritten dates which apparently were those where the previous owner listened to that particular record. Not for me ...

Very True .... but at a certain age - even  if economics are still not an issue - to me it seems inevitable to think about matters .... this or the other way ....

MG calls it an "archive", and as with any archive you probably can't use it all. Such a collection *can* in principle find its way into  an institutional special collection of some kind, but such things need to be carefully arranged in advance. I wonder what happened for example to (late British DJ) John Peel's collection of independent rock etc., surely the biggest of its kind in the world. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Peel's collection didn't stay in the family. His son's on Radio 6 following in the parental footsteps the last I heard

young Ms.Gustafsson's going to have a some interesting decisions to make when she's a fair bit older as I can't see Mats relinquishing any of that vinyl whilst he still has his wits about him 

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

young Ms.Gustafsson's going to have a some interesting decisions to make when she's a fair bit older as I can't see Mats relinquishing any of that vinyl whilst he still has his wits about him 

Uh oh ... Just checked and discovered I am only 4 years his senior. (I was under the impression he was quite a bit younger)
I know one of these days I will make lists and instructions about my collections to let the NEXT generation know what NOT do do - so as not to be ripped off. And if they decide not to heed my advice then so be it ... I'll be gone anyway. I trust that Mats Gustafsson will be even much, much more thorough about this, given how "archival" many parts of his collection seem to be.

Happens every generation. During the past 6 to 10 years I had to unload what my father first got rid of and then left behind - tons (almost) of architecture books and art and cultural history books. Almost worthless except for a relatively small percentage of really old and collectible architecture books from the 1910s to 1950s. If you - like me - feel that uneasy about throwing old books away then it IS a chore passing as many of them as you can on to where they might be appreciated.
So the heirs of almost any vinyl collection are likely to fare better.

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Although still not being at this stage I could imagine asking myself the essential question ...."You Can't Take It With You" .....

You invariably will start to scale down one day. But that's beside the point - whatever you decide to let go is no longer part of what matters to you so it's out of the equation of what you still will get around to listening to. And I am pretty sure many of us will STILL hold on to more than they can and will listen to. ;)

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I wonder what happened for example to (late British DJ) John Peel's collection of independent rock etc., surely the biggest of its kind in the world. 

The ultimate question of that kind is: Where will John Tefteller's collection of 78s go? :D

The Peel stuff has been available online for a while now.
Mats could just possibly run out of room - or reach an age
when it becomes too overwhelming to have all of this.
Hard to say. An intense guy who, if he dies of a heart attack
in, say, 5 years, will have a collection that will have to go
somewhere without him. I've said here before that mine
goes to Sangrey if he outlives me. ...and if he doesn't, 
Amoeba Records has already written showing interest.
Other options if the last big record store in the world closes.
[all of this, after eBay takes individual stuff meanwhile].

Edited by rostasi