Hank Mobley In Holland

romualdo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I linked to that concert review from Groningen somewhere above where the reviewer seemed rather unhappy about Pim Jacobs and claimed that the music finally clicked in the one set where de Graaff played behind Mobley (at least that's what I extracted from the Dutch text - that Dutch newspaper archive is amazing! and "Ruud Jacobs was de enige die niveau had" seems hard to misunderstand)

5 hours ago, Niko said:

slightly different band but still the same TV show, right? (stuff I learned when catching up on Dutch jazz in the last few days, after Wessel Ilcken, the drummer/leader/husband of Rita Reys died, pianist Pim Jacobs married Rita but the drummers in the band kept fluctuating - but at least he had his own TV show). The online catalogue of the Dutch Jazz Archive only lists a CD-R with the session coming from an audiotape (KO121) that also contains sessions with Maynard Ferguson in Mobley's/Montgomery's place, and a recording of Art Farmer/Jimmy Heath/Mal Waldron/Jimmy Woode/Steve McCall

http://catalogusmcn.nl/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=ko121

find of the day was this collection of photographs though, among many others, watch out for Dexter Gordon in the lower right corner of #27

https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/inventaris/30785.nl.html#

and hank recorded w/ rita before any of that in 1956!!!!!

Not to get us too far off-topic, but where the hell is some unreleased live *Joe Henderson* from this same era??

I, for one, am shocked virtually NO *live* Henderson fronting his own band (playing his own book) has ever come to light from the 1960's (not even in trading circles, that I'm aware of).  The only things that are even close are the Erich Kleinschuster thing (this 2CD set, with mostly Clifford Jordan, and some Carmell Jones too) -- and the 2 discs on Verve with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb (but they don't do even ONE Henderson tune).

Sorry, off-topic, I know.

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Not to get us too far off-topic, but where the hell is some unreleased live *Joe Henderson* from this same era??

I, for one, am shocked virtually NO *live* Henderson fronting his own band (playing his own book) has ever come to light from the 1960's (not even in trading circles, that I'm aware of).  The only things that are even close are the Erich Kleinschuster thing (this 2CD set, with mostly Clifford Jordan, and some Carmell Jones too) -- and the 2 discs on Verve with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb (but they don't do even ONE Henderson tune).

Sorry, off-topic, I know.

off-topic but an interesting question, as it's true you don't see much in terms of vault material from that era. Which is weird because he led some great bands and had a serious book.

I remember from a conversation I had with Joe Henderson that he preferred doing standard material with musicians other than his working band because he never had the rehearsal time he needed to get his own tunes (or the Strayhorm material) to sound the way he wanted it.

That said, it is sad there are no live tapes of his bands from the sixties. There are several musicians lacking live recordings - Cal Tjader is another example, on tour all the time, but rarely taped live for radio or by fans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 3:07 PM, Niko said:

The final clip on this site (Frank Jochemsen aan tafel) seems to discuss this upcoming jazzarchief release (the clip is from last December and apparently matters were still more uncertain then).

http://www.nposoulenjazz.nl/colive/uitzending/389411

importantly, starting at minute 6 there is a track of about 9 minutes from the concert (Like someone in love). This is apparently not the recording from the youtube clip but rather from 29 March 1968 at the B14 club in Rotterdam with

I am pretty sure that the album title comes from a card Hank Mobley wrote in Holland. In that radio show I linked to earlier in this thread (see above), Frank Jochemsen tells about finding the tapes, and the way I understand it (my Dutch is almost non-existent), the radio show was deleted by the radio station, but he found a copy of the tape together with a card from Hank with the text from the album cover on it in the private archives of the club owner