Hank Mobley In Holland

romualdo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I am pretty sure that the album title comes from a card Hank Mobley wrote in Holland. In that radio show I linked to earlier in this thread (see above), Frank Jochemsen tells about finding the tapes, and the way I understand it (my Dutch is almost non-existent), the radio show was deleted by the radio station, but he found a copy of the tape together with a card from Hank with the text from the album cover on it in the private archives of the club owner

Your Dutch is actually quite good.

Jochemsen, who is a big fan of Mobley, also tells about the (at best) lukewarm response to the 1968 concerts in Holland, where the New Thing (Breuker, Mengelberg, etc.) was all the rage.

There's a review of the Rotterdam concert in one of the newspapers referred to above, that goes something like this: 

"Today, Hank Mobley's role in the jazz business is played out. You can tell that from his performance on Friday night. Currently, Mobley isn't much more than a rather pale bopper without any prospects for further development."

2 hours ago, corto maltese said:

There's a review of the Rotterdam concert in one of the newspapers referred to above, that goes something like this: 

"Today, Hank Mobley's role in the jazz business is played out. You can tell that from his performance on Friday night. Currently, Mobley isn't much more than a rather pale bopper without any prospects for further development."

At least the above reviewer wrote what they thought. Now, try to find a negative review in the press these days! It's all amazing, indispensable and essential, don't want to offend the delicate genius. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

But I think the site only sells in the economy or at least not to the States? That is why I had to go through a Japanese site for the ben Webster release.

I've send a message to the Office Manager from 'The Dutch Jazz Archive',  if he's shipping this album to the States (+ costs). I'll let you know when I have more information.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

FWIW, the catalog number (from the HMV link) appears to be:  FNCJ5621  <<< now a link that goes to the Google search.

Which seems to bring up 8-9 various Japanese sites with early pre-release listings.  None with artwork (yet), and seemingly none with any sort of track-listing -- though eventually those may start to appear in time (perhaps only in Japanese).

Has anyone seen a track-listing yet?  I just checked the first dozen search-hits on the (Japanese?) catalog number above, but none seem to have anything (nor the English translations of those pages).

Very curious if everything is all standards, or if there are any Mobley originals.  I'm in regardless (but probably not quite to the point of pre-ordering -- I'll probably just try and get it from The Bastards), but would still love to know all the details.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Has anyone seen a track-listing yet?  I just checked the first dozen search-hits on the (Japanese?) catalog number above, but none seem to have anything (nor the English translations of those pages).

Very curious if everything is all standards, or if there are any Mobley originals.  I'm in regardless (but probably not quite to the point of pre-ordering -- I'll probably just try and get it from The Bastards), but would still love to know all the details.

Here's some: https://www.discogs.com/Hank-Mobley-To-One-So-Sweet-Stay-That-Way-Hank-Mobley-in-Holland/release/9772546

Hi all,

This is Paul from Dutch Jazz Archive in Amsterdam. 
Many thanks for your interest in our CD's. 

The Mobley CD (see coverphoto) will be released next week, on march 6. It is possible to order
directly from us by sending an email to info@jazzarchief.nl.  Our webshop is not yet equipped to
handle US orders. Single CD orders for the US come at 21,52 Euro, including postage
Payments can be made through PayPal. 

We are considering US distribution and are looking presently for a suitable party. 

CoverMobley-NJA1604-600x600.jpg

3 hours ago, JazzDutchy said:

Hi all,

The Mobley CD (see coverphoto) will be released next week, on march 6. It is possible to order
directly from us by sending an email to info@jazzarchief.nl.  Our webshop is not yet equipped to
handle US orders. Single CD orders for the US come at 21,52 Euro, including postage

We are considering US distribution and are looking presently for a suitable party. 

Contact Dusty Groove (www.dustygroove.com)/ They would probably be able to help you out with distribution in the US.

3 hours ago, JazzDutchy said:

Hi all,

Welcome, and I hope you've got a whole lot of CDs coming from your pressing plant, cause this is going to be a very popular release, I think!

On 2/27/2017 at 10:33 AM, Tom 1960 said:

I'll be sitting on the sidelines on this one for the time being till I hear the input from you guys. No hurry on this. Most likely I'll make the purchase, but will wait for the reviews.

That's not a bad idea.  Think I will do the same.