Hank Mobley In Holland

romualdo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/6/2017 at 8:07 AM, Niko said:

Don't want to rush anybody, but the first review is out...

http://www.jazzenzo.nl/?e=3592

(in Dutch, roughly, it seems to say that the first session (with the Jacobs brothers, including Summertime) is great, that the second one is ok, and that Mobley is unfocused on the third session except in the first and last track, and that sound quality is excellent in the first two sessions and a bit worse in the third)

what a wrong-headed review; just listening now, and this CD is a revelation; absolutely incredible work from Hank all the way through. Fascinating; thoughtful, intense, and, best of all, un-selfconscious. What I mean is that sometimes to me, on the Bluenotes, Mobley sounds to me like he is straining a bit, trying too hard to be 'contemporary.' His work here is great all the way, and his sound is just a little bit smoother yet incredibly muscular. These are 50 year old recordings and they sound like they could have been made yesterday, both sonically and stylistically.

3 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

what a wrong-headed review; just listening now, and this CD is a revelation; absolutely incredible work from Hank all the way through. Fascinating; thoughtful, intense, and, best of all, un-selfconscious. What I mean is that sometimes to me, on the Bluenotes, Mobley sounds to me like he is straining a bit, trying too hard to be 'contemporary.' His work here is great all the way, and his sound is just a little bit smoother yet incredibly muscular. These are 50 year old recordings and they sound like they could have been made yesterday, both sonically and stylistically.

IMHO, Allen is correct!!

• 9 months later...
23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I still haven't picked this up yet - mistakenly thought it was on a label that was a little less obscure than it apparently is.  What's my best/cheapest/reliable source on a copy these days?  Many thanks!

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1266377&ev=mb

Tommy's Jazz is a discogs/ebay/amazon seller who is easy to deal with and used to participate here. He's got it at $20 plus shipping, I would think that's pretty fair and its domestic shipping too.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1266377&ev=mb

Tommy's Jazz is a discogs/ebay/amazon seller who is easy to deal with and used to participate here. He's got it at $20 plus shipping, I would think that's pretty fair and its domestic shipping too.

Thanks!  I see he also seems to have that Carmell Jones Quartet "Previously Unreleased Los Angeles Session" date on FreshSound at a not especially painful price -- which I've also been meaning to get for a while now.

• 6 months later...

I finally picked up a copy of this Mobley in Holland date, on my last Dusty Groove order -- and I'm quite liking it.  The inclusion of guitar on the first 3 tracks adds some nice variety to the set, and I'm glad they sequenced it the way they did -- with the small-group sessions bookending the big band in the middle (and particularly with the horn + piano trio tracks at the end).  I've only been through the whole thing once, but I was left wishing there was more material with big band -- not a criticism of the release, but just recognizing what a treat it is to hear Hank in a bigger context like that.

• 11 months later...

Used copy of Hank in Holland, via The Bastards.  $17 ain't a steal, but it's a good $5-6 less than new (especially if you're getting a bunch of other stuff from Dusty).

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/875859

FWIW.  Still a very nice date, and probably the single best non-BN think by (or even with) Hank, that I've yet ever heard.

EDIT:  I see The Bastards are normally selling this for only $20 now (I'm just seeing), whereas I'm sure I paid $23 for it (from them) a year ago.  So $17 is not as much of a deal as I thought.  In any case, there it is, fwiw.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Been spinning the Hank in Holland '68 disc a few times the last couple weeks (maybe 3x) -- and gosh, it's such a nice collection.  The two big band numbers especially, but the whole thing really.  Still regularly or at least often available at Dusty (though not this very moment, of course).

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/831701