Hank Mobley In Holland

romualdo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I wrote above, it seems like the CD will be from a different concert with a different band - not the one from the youtube clip in the first post (unless several concerts are combined on one CD, of course). Hank Mobley was apparently quite active in the Netherlands in March and April 1968, as can be seen here.

Edited by Niko

CD seems to come from three

3 hours ago, Niko said:

as I wrote above, it seems like the CD will be from a different concert with a different band - not the one from the youtube clip in the first post (unless several concerts are combined on one CD, of course). Hank Mobley was apparently quite active in the Netherlands in March and April 1968, as can be seen here.

From the various (few) on-line listings of this new release, the CD does seem to come from three (3!) different nights and recording locations, so perhaps the line-up(s) are not all identical.

March 20, 28, 29 - 1968
Locations: Amsterdam, Theater Bellevue -- Hilvousam, VARA Studios -- and Rotterdam, Jazz Club B14

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

From the various (few) on-line listings of this new release, the CD does seem to come from three (3!) different nights and recording locations, so perhaps the line-up(s) are not all identical.

March 20, 28, 29 - 1968
Locations: Amsterdam, Theater Bellevue -- Hilvousam, VARA Studios -- and Rotterdam, Jazz Club B14

Thanks! Can't find the full line-ups  for Amsterdam and Hilversum, but I would expect different rhythm sections - the one in Rotterdam seemed to be a one-off (even though pianist Rob Agerbeck claims he was scheduled to appear on The Flip), and on all other dates I could find, the pianist was indeed Pim Jacobs (except for this report from Groningen which claims that the music got so much better when Rein de Graaf sat in for a set). Both clips are great imho so there's definitely something to look forward to

Edited by Niko

I'd be fine with Cees See as well; he's an excellent drummer and was later in Manfred Schoof's New Jazz Trio with the late bassist Peter Trunk.

Bennink played a number of these kinds of gigs and came by hardbop quite honestly. There's video of him with Johnny Griffin and recordings with him backing people like Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins and Don Byas. The Rollins gig from Arnhem (1967) is phenomenal.

so this is not on amazon- do you have to buy from the overseas page- is it an overseas transaction?  

i think theres stuff i dont know, i cant wait to find the tracklist- now how will i get a copy?  ebay perhaps?

i wanna wait and see the tracklist and maybe some more detailed session info before i mail any of you cash......

here is a photograph of Hank Mobley with the leaders of the Hobby Orkest (if you scroll a bit to the upper left), the text mentions a broadcast by "Nederlandse Radio Unie" which I take to be radio - but who knows. (For the Rotterdam session, the guy from the jazz archive mentions in that radio interview how lucky he was to stumble upon the tape in the archives of the B14 club - so in this case I wouldn't be optimistic). Without Mobley, the Hobby Orkest was filmed, and it sounds pretty good (a full tune is heard at 5:40).

mobley_hobbyorkest.jpg

Edited by Niko

ITS GONNA BE SO GOOD YOU GUYS

and wheres the deluxe vinyl set?  why is this release so sketchy?  is it just cause its overseas and will eventually filter over here to our stores? or whats the deal w/ it?  why does it have to be so complex. 

Capture.jpg

heres what was happenin on the jazz chart back in america that week!

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

It's the Hobby Orkest.

Dutch orchestra consisting of studio musicians playing music in own arrangements and own compositions. They were rehearsing in the Soundpush Studio in Blaricum, Holland.

from this page: https://www.discogs.com/artist/5543909-Hobby-Orkest

There are youtube videos from '67 I have not watched (I don't do youtube).

On 3.2.2017 at 4:08 PM, robertoart said:

This looks like the same band that backed up Wes Montgomery as well. That was filmed. Nobody filmed Hank at all in Europe?

after reading a bit more here and there (finally practising my dutch a little) it seems fairly clear that the first session with the Jacobs brothers is indeed extracted from the same TV show that gave us the Montgomery video.

Edited by Niko

2 hours ago, Niko said:

after reading a bit more here and there (finally practising my dutch a little) it seems fairly clear that the first session with the Jacobs brothers is indeed extracted from the same TV show that gave us the Montgomery video.

Almost.

With Wes, it was The Pim Jacobs Trio:  Pim Jacobs: Piano, Ruud Jacobs: Bass, Han Bennink on Drums.  (Live in Holland 1965)

With Hank it's the Pim Jacobs Quartet + Wim Overgaauw on Electric Guitar. Rest same.

slightly different band but still the same TV show, right? (stuff I learned when catching up on Dutch jazz in the last few days, after Wessel Ilcken, the drummer/leader/husband of Rita Reys died, pianist Pim Jacobs married Rita but the drummers in the band kept fluctuating - but at least he had his own TV show). The online catalogue of the Dutch Jazz Archive only lists a CD-R with the session coming from an audiotape (KO121) that also contains sessions with Maynard Ferguson in Mobley's/Montgomery's place, and a recording of Art Farmer/Jimmy Heath/Mal Waldron/Jimmy Woode/Steve McCall

http://catalogusmcn.nl/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=ko121

find of the day was this collection of photographs though, among many others, watch out for Dexter Gordon in the lower right corner of #27

https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/inventaris/30785.nl.html#

Edited by Niko