Albert Ammons on Blue Note: recorded on tape?

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

And the Albert Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis was the third release by Mosaic, not the first. That was the Thelonious Monk Blue Note set on LP, followed by the Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker set (the first to be released on cd). I'd like to find that Ammons/Lewis set on cd.

gregmo

21 hours ago, gmonahan said:

And the Albert Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis was the third release by Mosaic, not the first. That was the Thelonious Monk Blue Note set on LP, followed by the Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker set (the first to be released on cd). I'd like to find that Ammons/Lewis set on cd.

gregmo

If memory serves, they were all three released concurrently...am I mis-remembering that?

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

If memory serves, they were all three released concurrently...am I mis-remembering that?

That's possible. The earliest flyer I have is #4, and it shows several releases. But the Monk Blue Note was 101, the Mulligan was 102, and the Ammons/Lewis was 103.

gregmo

Right.

I remember being on board with Mosaic - paying for the Monk - from the beginning. Even before they even had product ready. There was a delay there that was, uh...uncomfortable, But I seem to remember that that first release, the first wave of advertising, was the trio of Monk/Mulligan/Ammons-Lewis. I can tell you that my want was to get all three, but my money only allowed for the Monk.

I could be off on this, but that's my memory.

IIRC the Monk was relased first, and the next two followed. I, too, got the Monk immediately and the others some time later - when I think how complicated payment was back then ... I had to get a cheque in US-$ from my local bank and send it to Mosaic as a registered letter, pay bank and postage fees and waited for weeks until I had any confirmation, holding my breath. Today with e-mail and credit cards or PayPal it's all a piece of cake. 

They would have to sell more than twice as many copies to get the same dollars.  For a typical cd of $15-16 the label sells to a national distributor for around $7.50 and pays the freight to the distributor. The distributor sells to the retailer for around $10 and the retailer sells for .......  

And then the label has to wait for a minimum of 90 days to get paid.

And the distributor will not pay for anything sitting on their shelves. Sales are "guaranteed" by the labels so the distributor has the right to return stock to them.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I do sales from my web site and a couple of sources and it helps the margins but direct sales work best with the cachet of limited edition / exclusivity.

Also, when you are working with living artists and trying to promote their careers the "exclusivity" thing doesn't work. They want the material everywhere and now.

So the demise of the brick and mortar shops, and their replacement with the on-line shops really didn't open a window for increased number of sales for you? The formula is still the same, going through a distributor, waiting to get paid, etc.? How do you know how many copies of a particular title to print?