Who's In This 1947 Andy Kirk Band?

JSngry

Really wonder who's in this 1947 Andy Kirk band besides announced tenorists Ray Abrams(!) & Shirley (sic) Green.

Some speculation here: http://jazzdocumentation.ch/john_young/young.html

Rene Hall gets a screen credit as "music by" or some such, so that's most likely him on guitar, but everybody else?

This is really a history lesson hidden inside a very low-budget movie!

A history lesson indeed. Thanks for the link!

That tune by the Kirk band, "Gator's Serenade", really cooks but unfortunately it seems to have gone unrecorded. And I cannot think of any later release  of that movie excerpt on one of those "Jazz on Film"-style records either.

For a sequel to your history lesson and a look at how things evolved I'd recommend this one from 1955:

I found it on some Roku channel. It's an obviously not-so-great print of a PD film that I don't know made much box office noise, but at least it has survived.

Seeing Andy Kirk's name really caught my eye, though, because 1947 was pretty late in the game for him as far as bandleading goes. There's probably some link to Rene Hall there, but I have no dots to connect, so that's entirely speculative

21 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

Atlanta 1947. Not getting warmer precisely but getting somewhere.

andy-47-sm.jpg

The sponsor of this concert should remind us of the role that rail travel and rail travel workers played in both the dissemination of Black Music and the creation of the economy around it.

Curious who the connection for Kirk to get this gig was. Somebody of his age and experience was sure to have had more than ample opportunity to establish contacts within the rail workers world of that time.

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

If this is the typical company the Kirk band gigged with in 1947 (Ray Sneed aka Snead! Billy Wright!), it is no wonder that the music they played in "Killer Diller" had started to lean towards R&B here and there.

I noted that too Steve. The tenor battle tune sounded a lot like the kind of stuff Lionel Hampton was playing at the time.

gregmo

• 4 years later...