Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

felser

My CDJapan daily email shows a bunch of unexpected Mainstream titles (Paul Jeffrey, Reggie Moore, Pete Yellin) coming out on low-priced reissues on March 22.  And finally, from my dream list, Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue" is also included.  I haven't placed a CDJapan order in over a year, but it will be time next month.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/2017/03?periods=3

Edited by felser

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Sounds like Solid Records has turned its attention the Mainstream catalog. Cool!

Not familiar with Solid Records, what can you tell me about them?  Anyone reissuing something like this is worth my attention!

They are a Japanese reissue label that tends to license a lot of a label's titles or all of them and put them out, then move on to another label. 

Earlier this decade they released nearly every Bethlehem Records release on cd. And I bought nearly all of them. They master a bit too "loud" for some/many audiophiles, but the releases sound great on my system, in fact it's my favorite way to have Bethlehem on CD. Following the Bethlehem series they did a number of Enja titles.

Edited by jazzbo

whoa...

"unexpected" is right...not a lot on there I'd really call "essential" but still...my LPs will be ok for almost all of this, but the point afaic is that I bought them in the first place (often used or cutout), and don't really regret having done so. I see they're also doing the 60s Mainstream stuff too, which is very cool.

This is gonna be a fun ride for some of us, and when they get to Buddy Terry's Pure Dynamite, carpe diem.

R-1106902-1192516752.jpeg.jpg

Again, not a "masterpiece", or anything like that, but..."real time" music and all that comes with that, mess and glory side by side, hand in hand, let no voice go unturned, no plow unleavened, no record go unreissued on cd. None!

And YEE-HAH!!!

R-1654309-1328680791.jpeg.jpgR-1654309-1328680799.jpeg.jpg

1 down, 2 and a Booty to go!

53 minutes ago, felser said:

My CDJapan daily email shows a bunch of unexpected Mainstream titles (Paul Jeffrey, Reggie Moore, Pete Yellin) coming out on low-priced reissues on March 22.  And finally, from my dream list, Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue" is also included.  I haven't placed a CDJapan order in over a year, but it will be time next month.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/2017/03?periods=3

Oh man ... New Shade of Blue is a long-time favorite of mine.
Lots of plays of that album growing up. Headphones on while
sitting at a set of drums going over and over the Billy Hart licks.
Gonna have to play some YouTube vids of it while I search the
LPs here. Thanks for the reminder!

Have a soft spot for this one too. Not everyone's taste with her vocals,
but it had a special resonance for me growing up.

xR8jkDM.jpg

Totally agree with comments about Terry's Pure Dynamite and Land's A New Shade of Blue. Both are wonderful records, imho.

A couple others that I particularly dig: the self-titled Blue Mitchell and Jack Wilkins' Windows.  

I'll definitely be getting some of these reissues. Thanks for the heads-up, felser. :) 

One more thumps up for "New Shade Of Blue" - his strongest effort on Mainstream hands down ....

Interesting to see Sonny Red "Sonny Red" with Cedar Walton + Herbie Lewis + Billy Higgins reissued .... :

For Art Farmer buffs also "Homecoming" with Jimmy Heath + Cedar Walton + Sam Jones + Billy Higgins should be of interest ....

EDIT :

And as this is Yen 1000 issue, little money could be invested in this little Jazz Funk gem Pete Yellin "It`s The Right Thing"  feat item alias Mario Rivera  on reeds and groovy Clint Houston on bass ....:

Edited by soulpope

Certainly never would have expected to see that Frank Wess, Don Pullen, and Randy Brecker had played on the same date, but that is what the Williams shows.  The Terry 'Awareness' and 'Pure Dynamite' albums and the Land albums with Hutcherson ('Choma' and  'A New Shade of Blue') are my favorites on the label, though there are plenty of other albums of interest, and this will be a buying spree for me..

Edited by felser

Those Charles Williams records are all feel-good treats. The one being reissued here is a much more "produced" affair than the others (which are small group affairs, and yes Don Pullen plays Soul Jazz organ, this was a regular gig of both him and Bubba Brooks), but they're all fun, and I had completely ignored/scoffed at them until Dan Gould went on a Bubba Brooks love affair and hipped me to them.

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Those Charles Williams records are all feel-good treats. The one being reissued here is a much more "produced" affair than the others (which are small group affairs, and yes Don Pullen plays Soul Jazz organ, this was a regular gig of both him and Bubba Brooks), but they're all fun, and I had completely ignored/scoffed at them until Dan Gould went on a Bubba Brooks love affair and hipped me to them.

And bless Bill Fenohr for sending them my way in the first place.

Trees and Grass and Things was a chance buy for me, and boy, did it pay off. A trippin' record!

I like the packaging also, but I can see how it can be a pita to open and close without ripping it apart.

The very few copies I've seen all were white label  promos, probably for radio play. I guess it wasn't a big seller.

220px-Trees_and_Grass_and_Things.jpg

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Trees and Grass and Things was a chance buy for me, and boy, did it pay off. A trippin' record!

I like the packaging also, but I can see how it can be a pita to open and close without ripping it apart.

The very few copies I've seen all were white label  promos, probably for radio play. I guess it wasn't a big seller.

220px-Trees_and_Grass_and_Things.jpg

Yeah, a LOT of the Mainstream vinyl I came across back in the day was promo.  I get the impression they did not sell well, and I  wonder if they even had good distribution.  They spent a fortune in the packaging, with the gatefolds and the photography and all.  And they always seemed to have a lot of duplication on instruments, not sure if that meant multiple sessions per album or what.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

My Mainstream promo stickers usually had a Roulette logo on them, so....Morris Levy. Go figure that.

Yeah, so did mine!.  Levy was a scary dude for sure.  Poor Bob Shad.

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

I'm curious about the Curtis Fuller "Crankin'" album. I've never heard that.  And I'd like to get the Sarah Vaughan/Jimmy Rowles Mainstream album on a proper cd some time.

gregmo

I remember the Fuller being very pleasant, but nothing really special.  But you can't go wrong with that personnel.

I'm on a Morris Levy trip as of two days ago. I don't remember seeing the Roulette stickers. What did they look like? Roulette distributed Mainstream records? I'm quite sure Shad knew Levy full well.  I agree with John's of course, the packaging for those gatefold jackets was excellent, the cover photos were top notch printing quality, similar to the Horizon packaging. Seems strange to have put in so much into the packaging, not to invest in distribution. Never encountered the Fuller album, btw...