Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

felser

Mina and 'The 10th Victim' from 1966 notwithstanding, the primary focus here is on Mainstream's MRL 300 series of contemporary jazz, which ran from 1971 to 1976. 

As for the huge orange 'distributed by Roulette' stickers, I didn't see them until 1980 or later.  Bob Shad must've needed Mo' Levy's help moving out his warehouse stock at near-list price instead of dispatching them as cut-outs.  

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of that 300 series was a repacking of 60s things, ones that had great Jack Lohnshein(sp?) covers. Will be interesting to see which covers they use for the reissue, although Maynard's Color Him Wild was reissued as Dues, and the site has the former title.

Yes!

1964-Maynard-Ferguson-Color-Him-Wild.jpg

Uh...

dues-maynard-ferguson.jpg

Although apparently...

dues.jpg

If/when CD Japn posts images, that will be cool as far as deciding the decision.

Yep, in the early 1970's when Maynard was hitting big on Columbia, Bob Shad re-issued three of MF's mid-60's albums -- and gave 'em new titles. 

Of the 122 releases in Mainstream's MRL series, about 20 are repackages or reissues of 50's and 60's recordings which Shad still had rights to.  That leaves us with 100 LPs, most of which were risk-taking, original efforts of artists who were passed-over by the major labels (having deigned them unworthy and unprofitable).      

Mention of the "Distributed by Roulette Records" sticker made me think of this LP:

106216.jpg

This is an excellent recording, but it's not the type of music I associate with Mainstream. I wonder how it came about.

A long while ago, I wrote about this album on my Charles Ives web site here.

Edited by HutchFan

Looks like some of these are worth picking up - I don't remember seeing too many of these around over here back in the day, domestically some were issued/pressed by Pye I think. I have the Helen Merrill 'Mixes' twofer in that version. The likes of Pete Yellin and Charles Williams, I don't think I've seen before.

Picked up that Harold Land 'New Shades..' on vinyl some years ago and it is predictably good. I find the Mainstream recordings a bit thin and 'gloopy' in the bass though.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Picked up that Harold Land 'New Shades..' on vinyl some years ago and it is predictably good. I find the Mainstream recordings a bit thin and 'gloopy' in the bass though.

Yeah, I hear the same.

I wonder how much remastering might help alleviate those sonic issues. . . 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the recommendations in this thread. I ordered (and am eagerly awaiting) the below from CDJapan:

CDSOL-45204 Maynard Ferguson / Color Him Wild [Low-priced Reissue]
  CDA 1000yen  Released: March 22, 2017

CDSOL-45206 Harold Land / A New Shade Of Blue [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45210 Sonny Red / Sonny Red [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45215 Curtis Fuller / Crankin' [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45216 Buddy Terry / Awareness [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45219 Charles McPherson / Siku Ya Bibi [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45222 Hal Galper / GUERILLA BAND [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45223 Blue Mitchell / Blues' Blues [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45226 Charles Williams / Stickball [Low-priced Reissue]

And for good measure:
CDSOL-6998 Geri Allen / Some Aspects Of Water [Limited Release]
  CDA 1000yen  Released: February 15, 2017

Edited by David

Here's the order I  placed (I already own the Buddy Terry and the Art Farmer):

CDSOL-45206 Harold Land / A New Shade Of Blue [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45208 Hadley Caliman / Hadley Caliman [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45210 Sonny Red / Sonny Red [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45215 Curtis Fuller / Crankin' [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45218 Barry Miles / White Heat [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45219 Charles McPherson / Siku Ya Bibi [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45222 Hal Galper / GUERILLA BAND [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45224 Jack Wilkins / Windows [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45227 Paul Jeffrey / Watershed [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45228 Pete Yellin / It's The Right Thing [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45229 Mike Longo / Matrix [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-6530 Masahiko Sato / Trinity [Limited Release]

CDA 1000yen  Released: April 23, 2014

WPCR-29077 Slide Hampton / The Fabulous Slide Hampton Quartet [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I just ordered Harold Land's New Shade of Blue. :)  Since this is some of my favorite music, I'm hoping that the CD sound is a significant improvement on the LP.

For those of you who ordered it, have you had an opportunity to compare?

Never heard the original LP, so don't know if it is better or not, but the bass on the reissue is wonky (the entire mix sounds kind of off).

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Bummer. :(  Oh well, I suppose some things can't be fixed.  

I'm glad this excellent recording is reissued for the 1st time on CD level .... the LP - at least my mintish copy - suffers from rather bad vinyl quality  (like so many US pressings in the 70's) ....

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I'll dig my LP of that one out today but that is my recollection of this one too.

Seems like a lot of the Mainstream recordings always sounded kind of off.  I was just listening to the Dave Hubbard the other day, and the sound was pretty ghastly.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my package and have been listening.  Something is definitely wrong with the Land.  Either defective master or not from master tapes.  Other titles aren't audiophile, but are quite acceptable.  But the music on the Land is incredible.

4 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I'd like to hear about the Curtis Fuller cd ("Crankin'"). Is it a fairly straight-ahead bop date, or was Curtis flirting with fusion?

gregmo

Straight ahead hard bop, with not-unattractive 70's trappings of electric piano (George Cables) and guitar.  I am quite happy with it.  Stanley Clarke on bass - he played on a lot of Mainstream label sessions in that period, for whatever reason -  Lenny White on drums, Bill Hardman on trumpet, and some players I'm not otherwse familiar with - Bill Washer on guitar and Ray Moros on tenor sax.  Recommended if you enjoy that era where things were being stretched.  I do.

Stanley Clarke was the Hot New Kid In Town there for a quick minute before RTF took root. He was on a good number of "regular jazz dates" for that relatively brief interval.

And I do believe that "Ray Moros" is otherwise AKA "Raymond Morris". Can't say that with absolute certainty though.

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Hope this excellent piano trio date with Dave Holland and Bill Goodwin will turn up via a second batch of japanese reissues ....

Yes, there are a lot of good Mainstream dates left to reissue.  Buddy Terry, Harold Land, Galper, Mike Longo, Barry Miles, Hadley Caliman, Charles McPherson, Johnny Coles, Charles Kynard, etc.