Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

felser

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hope that McPherson's  Today's Man will be released on CD.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

10 hours ago, felser said:

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

Agreed ....

6 hours ago, king ubu said:

Just ordered some more from the earlier batch ... anyone has a listing of all the reissues? Two batches so far, right? (New one on July 12, according to CDjapan)

Two batches is correct, the one already out and the  one coming in the next two weeks.

Thanks for all the discussion on these Mainstream releases.

I was yet to be born during this label's existence, but am enjoying the sessions I've ordered and listened to quite a bit. I have listened to the Curtis Fuller, Sonny Red, Charles McPherson, Maynard Ferguson, and one of the Blue Mitchell dates from the first batch, and am eager to continue to amass these.

Might venture into adding a sessions from a lesser known (for me) vocalist to my next order--either Alice Clark or Gloria Coleman.

Pace Soulpope and Peter Friedman above, McPherson's "Today's Man" is tremendous -- definitely the best of his Mainstream LPs and "Stranger in Paradise" is one of his best single performances on record -- astounding three choruses of flowing melody with Barry Harris, Lawrence Evans and Billy Higgins right on his tail. 

12 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Since the time of my post (above), roughly half of the 53 Mainstreams available from the Bards have sold out. (27 of 53)

Much lower prices at CDJapan ($8.83 vs. $13.99), so go that way if you are ordering multiple titles.

On 7/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Scott Dolan said:

Currently listening to The Power Of Positive Swinging. 

Roger Kellaway's solo on The King just kicks serious ass! 

Outstanding album. 

Yeah, I love ALL the Terry/Brookmeyer things. That was a great group!

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments on the Nightbloomin' Jazzmen?  Good looking band, but Leonard Feather "leadership" ...

I missed out on the first reissue from Da Bastards then saw a second one at CDJapan and ended up ordering both, plus the Stan Hope trio recording. Probably arriving in a day or so but wondering as I don't think anyone has mentioned this group in a five page thread on the label.

20 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Any comments on the Nightbloomin' Jazzmen?  Good looking band, but Leonard Feather "leadership" ...

I missed out on the first reissue from Da Bastards then saw a second one at CDJapan and ended up ordering both, plus the Stan Hope trio recording. Probably arriving in a day or so but wondering as I don't think anyone has mentioned this group in a five page thread on the label.

I remember hearing it a couple times many years ago.  It never really knocked me out.  Then again, it's been a long while.

Let us know what you think after you've had an opportunity to give it a listen or two.

I too recall hearing it a few times many years ago. I also recall not being knocked out at all by it. In fact, my memory of it, such as it is, that is was kinda slackerly in a distinctively Bob Shad Meets Leonard Feather-y kind of way.

Even if that's what it really is, that's not to say that it wouldn't be good for a listen or two today?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I too recall hearing it a few times many years ago. I also recall not being knocked out at all by it. In fact, my memory of it, such as it is, that is was kinda slackerly in a distinctively Bob Shad Meets Leonard Feather-y kind of way.

Even if that's what it really is, that's not to say that it wouldn't be good for a listen or two today?

Listened to Freedom Jazz Dance first, the title track is a keeper for sure, IMO. A few good moments otherwise, on first listen.

First release up tomorrow.

Well I've only given one listen to each but I will give a bigger :tup then Jim or Hutch did. Not great music but enjoyable (Blue Mitchell! Charles Kynard!) and sounds less dated than some of those other Mainstreams which is a plus for me although YMMV.  If flute wasn't a less-than-favorite tone in jazz, I'd probably like some of these tracks more but we all have our cross to bear.

And I have to say this Stan Hope trio record is excellent! Solidly in the Gene Harris/Les McCann/Ramsey Lewis swinging bluesy style and for the time something of a throwback. I've dug Hope with Houston Person on some of the latter's High Note releases. This is a nice addition to his limited discography. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

And I have to say this Stan Hope trio record is excellent! Solidly in the Gene Harris/Les McCann/Ramsey Lewis swinging bluesy style and for the time something of a throwback. I've dug Hope with Houston Person on some of the latter's High Note releases. This is a nice addition to his limited discography. 

Agreed ....