felser

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Furthermore as of December 6th: Buddy Terry "Pure Dynamite" .... Gal Galper Trio "Inner Journey" .... and for me another reason re-evaluatinging Art Farmer's "Gentle Eyes .....

8 hours ago, Eric said:

I'll be getting the Hadley Caliman and the Buddy Terry. 

I'm familiar with both of them through blogsite downloads. :ph34r:  It'll be nice to finally have legit versions.

Likely will also opt for Pete Yellin "Dance Of Allegra" ....

I'm definitely in for the Yellin and Caliman, already have an older CD of the Buddy Terry.  Likely on some of the other titles like the Galper and the Jeffrey.

Likely will also opt for Pete Yellin "Dance Of Allegra" ....

Based on your recommendation, soulpope, I was just doing a bit of reading on Yellin -- including his obit. (He died last year.)

One of the sentences from the obit explains the meaning of this CD's title:   "Survivors include his wife, Jane Oriel of El Cerrito, California; his daughter and son-in-law, Allegra Yellin and Jordan Ruyle, and two granddaughters . . ."

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Based on your recommendation, soulpope, I was just doing a bit of reading on Yellin -- including his obit. (He died last year.)

One of the sentences from the obit explains the meaning of this CD's title:   "Survivors include his wife, Jane Oriel of El Cerrito, California; his daughter and son-in-law, Allegra Yellin and Jordan Ruyle, and two granddaughters . . ."

Wasn`t aware of that fact - thnx for posting ....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:29 PM, felser said:

We get another  shot of Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue" being released on CD.  Hope this label gets it right, as the Japanese label butchered it in the spring (out this weekend according to Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/New-Shade-Blue-HAROLD-LAND/dp/B071XF7FBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507068139&sr=1-1&keywords=harold+land+a+new+shade+of+blue

This release carries an additional track "Dark Mood" 8.52  (earlier available only via a Mainstream Sampler) and is said to feature a number of previously unseen photos .... don`t have the Cd, but as the prices via Amazon Sellers went south I .... might .... give .... in ....

Edited by soulpope

I got the new one and am much happier with it.  It is from vinyl and  even basically admits so, stating that the original master tapes were not available.   Lon, glad your Japanese copy is good, and I know your playback equipment is magnitudes better than mine, so that may have something to do with it.

Here is my latest order from CDJapan.  Would have liked to  have included the upcoming Mainstream Charles Kynard release (as well as the Reuben Wilson SHM, the Johnny Hammond Smith Wild Horses CTI, and the Steve Kuhn Three Waves release), but that would have bumped me out of small packet shipping and added about another 14 yen to the shipping costs.  Hoping they will all be available next  time I order.  I have the Buddy Terry on CD already, else I would be all over that one.

CDJapan

Order Number : 10109220143

CDSOL-45270 Curtis Fuller / Smokin' [Low-priced Reissue]

CDA 1000yen  Released: December 06, 2017

CDSOL-45272 Hadley Caliman / iapetus [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45273 Mike Longo / The Awakening [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45275 Hal Galper / Inner Journey [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45276 Pete Yellin / Dance of Allegra [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45277 Paul Jeffrey / A Family [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45284 Roy Haynes / Senyah [Low-priced Reissue]

CDSOL-45716 Larry Coryell / Fairyland [Low-priced Reissue]

CDA 1000yen  Released: October 25, 2017

CDSOL-45720 Tom Scott Quartet / Hair To Jazz [Limited Release]

CDSOL-45726 Harold Alexander / Sunshine Man [Low-priced Reissue]

KICJ-2563 The CTI Jazz All-Star Band / CTI All-Stars Live At The Hollywood Bowl

CDA 1500yen  Released: December 06, 2017

UCCQ-9326 Bobbi Humphrey / Flute In [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

CDA 1500yen  Released: December 06, 2017

VICJ-70042 Kosuke Mine / Daguri [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD]

CDA 2700yen  Released: October 25, 2017

On 2017-11-14 at 9:37 AM, soulpope said:

This release carries an additional track "Dark Mood" 8.52  (earlier available only via a Mainstream Sampler) and is said to feature a number of previously unseen photos .... don`t have the Cd, but as the prices via Amazon Sellers went south I .... might .... give .... in ....

Sorry that I don't quite get it, but would any of you who have heard more than version tell me the catalog number of the version to get of "A New Shade of Blue".

2 hours ago, David said:

Thanks for posting these. It seems that Solid has ventured into the Flying Dutchman catalog.

Any recommendations for someone who has nothing from them?

Going from my tastes and from this list: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.cat_id=UA-12&range.price=1000%2C1000&range.rel=2017%2F10%2F25%2C2017%2F10%2F25

the ones I would give the strongest recs to these:

CDSOL-45715.jpgCDSOL-45728.jpgCDSOL-45705.jpg

CDSOL-45704.jpgCDSOL-45707.jpgCDSOL-45729.jpg

CDSOL-45722.jpgCDSOL-45701.jpgCDSOL-45702.jpg

CDSOL-45703.jpg

and any of the Gato Barbieri, they're all of the same overall ilk, maybe a little different in specifics, but I'd think you'd want at least one (if you want any).

That makes 11 total, by a bunch for Christmas, listen to one a month, then come back next year and do it again!

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Going from my tastes and from this list: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.cat_id=UA-12&range.price=1000%2C1000&range.rel=2017%2F10%2F25%2C2017%2F10%2F25

the ones I would give the strongest recs to these:

CDSOL-45715.jpgCDSOL-45728.jpgCDSOL-45705.jpg

CDSOL-45704.jpgCDSOL-45707.jpgCDSOL-45729.jpg

CDSOL-45722.jpgCDSOL-45701.jpgCDSOL-45702.jpg

CDSOL-45703.jpg

and any of the Gato Barbieri, they're all of the same overall ilk, maybe a little different in specifics, but I'd think you'd want at least one (if you want any).

That makes 11 total, by a bunch for Christmas, listen to one a month, then come back next year and do it again!

The Barbieri Flying Dutchman sets are, to me, the best of both his career and some of the best of the label.  Especially the Montreux "El Pampero", which is magical, with the totally unexpected Lonnie Liston Smith/Chuck Rainey/Bernard Purdie/Nana rhythm section.  I've had the Tapscott, the Gil, and the Ornette on other CD issues for some time.  "Pieces of a Man" is THE great Gil Scott-Heron album.  The Leon Thomas titles are excellent as well, but they're missing my favorite of all, the Live one with Oliver Nelson.  The Tapscott is awesome, of course, but has been discussed many times on this board.  Fairyland is one of my favorite Coryell albums ever.

Edited by felser

This is one that's still not yet been gotten to, and why is that?

3_Shades_of_Blue.jpg

Not a "great record" per se, but...Johnny Hodges & Oliver Nelson ain't making new records any more, and big bands don't ROAR any more either unless it's just to be vulgar or otherwise common (the denominator of which keeps getting lower and lower...).

Thanks Jim and John.

I'm really digging the previous Mainstream batches, and looking forward to the next one. I'll add your recommendations to my want list.

This is all new stuff to me. Although I'm a child of the 80s, I'm quite fond of the 70s 'sound' on these Mainstream releases.

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is one that's still not yet been gotten to, and why is that?

3_Shades_of_Blue.jpg

Not a "great record" per se, but...Johnny Hodges & Oliver Nelson ain't making new records any more, and big bands don't ROAR any more either unless it's just to be vulgar or otherwise common (the denominator of which keeps getting lower and lower...).

If memory serves, this was Hodges's last studio recording as a leader. It was reissued on cd by BMG France in the EU back in 1997.

gregmo

Yes indeed!

and there is so much dissonance in Oliver Nelson's writing, that introduction...like Lewis Taylor suggested about Art Tatum recently, just pick a chord and isolate it. It's probably over before it has a chance to fully register, which is why I've come to appreciate Oliver Nelson as a "stealth" kind of guy, especially the longer he went and the more deadlines he was up against. Sometimes he out and out misses, but usually he finds a way to get "it" in there.

Now that the real BB&B is finally getting a proper reissue, it's time for 3 Shades Of Blue to follow suit. The BMG/Bluebird f-up did not cover the entire LP and/but instead included one looong cut from the album ON cut with Oily Rags. Yuck.