• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On November 29, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Late said:

CDSOL-45268.jpg?v=1

What's this one like? I couldn't find sound samples online anywhere.

It's quite good--the music on the original LP, I mean. Is it being reissued in Japan? I had some correspondence recently with Matt from Wewantsounds about this very title, and he hopes to eventually reissue it as part of their Mainstream series. EDIT: I found the link and see that it is being reissued in the Japanese series, which I think marks its first appearance on CD anywhere. If it's music rather than audio quality to which your query refers, you can check out a couple of the tracks on this Night Lights show (audio source was a CD-R dubbed from an LP);

David Young's Quiet Strength

Edited by ghost of miles

3 hours ago, Late said:

Definitely the music — thanks for posting that link!

The album's being reissued in Japan on December 6th

It's a really solid date--David's only one as a leader, with another Indiana guy, Virgil Jones, present on trumpet.  Mostly David's compositions IIRC.  I'll probably go ahead and buy the Japanese reissue just in case Wewantsounds doesn't get to it (and then buy again if they do--happy to support reissuing the Mainstream catalogue and this title in particular!).  Unfortunately the indianapublicmedia.org server has been down most of the morning, so you may not be able to access the Night Lights link right now, but hopefully the website will be back in the next hour or so.

10 hours ago, David said:

Have the Nelson, Tapscott, Hines, and Young/Hawkins on the way along with iapetus, Pure Dynamite, Hal Galper Inner Journey and Johnny Coles Katumbo from the Mainstream releases on the way to me. All of it new music to these ears!

The Tapscott is gonna blow your mind - great stuff.  The Caliman is pretty wonderful also.

Haven't made a CD Japan order in a while, but seven titles will be en route after the 6th:

• Reggie Moore: Wishbone

• Reggie Moore: Furioso

• Mike Longo: Matrix

• Hal Galper: Inner Journey

• Hadley Caliman: Hadley Caliman

• Hadley Caliman: Iapetus

• George Coleman: Amsterdam After Dark

Four piano dates, and three tenor dates. I know the Coleman session, but have never owned it. Nice to have the original cover:

R-2530559-1289064549.jpeg.jpg

13 hours ago, David said:

Have the Nelson, Tapscott, Hines, and Young/Hawkins on the way along with iapetus, Pure Dynamite, Hal Galper Inner Journey and Johnny Coles Katumbo from the Mainstream releases on the way to me. All of it new music to these ears!

5 hours ago, felser said:

The Tapscott is gonna blow your mind - great stuff.  The Caliman is pretty wonderful also.

The Buddy Terry is excellent too. :tup 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, JSngry said:

Now that the real BB&B is finally getting a proper reissue...

Well, still not proper. The sound is better, but the original Nelson-penned liner notes are absent. This is just wrong, those notes speak volumes about the music and the deep sociology of Oliver Nelson. It's so critical to fully grasping what the music is dealing with...at best, I've seen this album referred to as a tribute to Martin Luther King, and that is, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I am going to transcribe those liner notes and post them on the board, hopefully tonight. But this...underestimation about the seriousness of Oliver Nelson has to stop. This narrative of "serious jazz guy selling out to Hollywood and then killing himself by doing all that work just for the money"  is just not right, there's more to the story and for whatever reason, it keeps not being added to the narrative.

Unacceptable.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well, still not proper. The sound is better, but the original Nelson-penned liner notes are absent. This is just wrong, those notes speak volumes about the music and the deep sociology of Oliver Nelson. It's so critical to fully grasping what the music is dealing with...at best, I've seen this album referred to as a tribute to Martin Luther King, and that is, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I am going to transcribe those liner notes and post them on the board, hopefully tonight. But this...underestimation about the seriousness of Oliver Nelson has to stop. This narrative of "serious jazz guy selling out to Hollywood and then killing himself by doing all that work just for the money"  is just not right, there's more to the story and for whatever reason, it keeps not being added to the narrative.

Unacceptable.

Thanks so much for the forthcoming transcription--I have the 2017 Japanese reissue here sitting on my desk at work, as I'm using it in a year-end Night Lights program, but the liner notes are in Japanese and appear to be a 2017 account of the history of the Flying Dutchman label.  No Nelson notes, in either Japanese or English.  Excellent album--I've heard much of it before off an old twofer LP that we have in the WFIU library.

Honestly, it's my favorite Nelson record, period (including Blues And The Abstract Truth). I do think it's his crowning achievement (and from a time when he was more or less seen as a "commodity"). Not just for the music, but for the combination of music and direct composer's commentary. Any one quote could be seen as "between the lines", but the totality is pretty much unambiguous.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Honestly, it's my favorite Nelson record, period (including Blues And The Abstract Truth). I do think it's his crowning achievement (and from a time when he was more or less seen as a "commodity"). Not just for the music, but for the combination of music and direct composer's commentary. Any one quote could be seen as "between the lines", but the totality is pretty much unambiguous.

Liner notes, via the power of Google image search!maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

On 12/1/2017 at 8:32 AM, Late said:

Haven't made a CD Japan order in a while, but seven titles will be en route after the 6th:

• Reggie Moore: Wishbone

• Reggie Moore: Furioso

• Mike Longo: Matrix

• Hal Galper: Inner Journey

• Hadley Caliman: Hadley Caliman

• Hadley Caliman: Iapetus

• George Coleman: Amsterdam After Dark

Four piano dates, and three tenor dates. I know the Coleman session, but have never owned it. Nice to have the original cover:

R-2530559-1289064549.jpeg.jpg

Curious how you like the Reggie Moore CDs ...

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Curious how you like the Reggie Moore CDs ...

I like both discs. The Hancock/Corea influence is strong but genuine. On Wishbone, Moore's eighth notes are occasionally stiff (in a "swinging" sense), but his covers of "Pinocchio" and "Vonetta" are inspired. By the second album, Furioso, the playing has loosened up and is perhaps more adventuresome, but the repertoire (e.g. "Hi-Heel Sneakers," "Bo-Diddley") is of its time. The Roberta Flack cover is pretty good though — but you probably have to like the song to begin with.

There's no laziness in Moore's playing, but it's not as fluid as (what seem to be) his influences. I'd be curious to hear what pianists on this board have to say.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:18 PM, Late said:

I like both discs. The Hancock/Corea influence is strong but genuine. On Wishbone, Moore's eighth notes are occasionally stiff (in a "swinging" sense), but his covers of "Pinocchio" and "Vonetta" are inspired. By the second album, Furioso, the playing has loosened up and is perhaps more adventuresome, but the repertoire (e.g. "Hi-Heel Sneakers," "Bo-Diddley") is of its time. The Roberta Flack cover is pretty good though — but you probably have to like the song to begin with.

There's no laziness in Moore's playing, but it's not as fluid as (what seem to be) his influences. I'd be curious to hear what pianists on this board have to say.

I  have not received my order,  which should have shipped at the same time - when did you get yours?

10 hours ago, Late said:

On a Monday. It wasn't last week, so it must have been the 11th! (Maybe Japan to the West Coast happens faster?)

I also used SAL small package shipping, so may be delayed due to Christmas mail.  Never would  have gotten it on the 11th no matter what!  Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing Charles McPherson's Today's Man and thinking wtf took so long?

The Shelley Manne side...not required by any means, but another document of the second wave of "West Coast Jazz" that sprung out and around the orbit of Don Ellis, kept widening, and contained a lot of players that made a lot more records than has yet to be formally recognized, perhaps not many great, bot a lot of them, including this one, interesting, at least. You can call it "trendy" and not be wrong, but then again, most things are. Stipulated, now let's move on.

Jeff Castleman on bass, btw.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I

I'm seeing Charles McPherson's Today's Man and thinking wtf took so long?

The Shelley Manne side...not required by any means, but another document of the second wave of "West Coast Jazz" that sprung out and around the orbit of Don Ellis, kept widening, and contained a lot of players that made a lot more records than has yet to be formally recognized, perhaps not many great, bot a lot of them, including this one, interesting, at least. You can call it "trendy" and not be wrong, but then again, most things are. Stipulated, now let's move on.

Yeah, I bookmarked those as soon as I saw them.   I already have the Foster and the Land on CD, though the Land is an ancient Sony CD, so I plan to upgrade.

Edited by felser