Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

felser

On 4/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, felser said:

Straight ahead hard bop, with not-unattractive 70's trappings of electric piano (George Cables) and guitar.  I am quite happy with it.  Stanley Clarke on bass - he played on a lot of Mainstream label sessions in that period, for whatever reason -  Lenny White on drums, Bill Hardman on trumpet, and some players I'm not otherwse familiar with - Bill Washer on guitar and Ray Moros on tenor sax.  Recommended if you enjoy that era where things were being stretched.  I do.

Thanks! It sounds good--I may just have to get it!

gregmo

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2017 at 7:48 PM, felser said:

Got my package and have been listening.  Something is definitely wrong with the Land.  Either defective master or not from master tapes.  Other titles aren't audiophile, but are quite acceptable.  But the music on the Land is incredible.

I agree 100%.  It would be nice if the sonics were better -- but the music is so darn good that I'm willing to "listen through it"! ;) 

On 4/28/2017 at 10:00 PM, felser said:

Hal Galper says "Why whatever do you mean?"

Image result for hal galper mainstreamImage result for hal galper mainstream

Image result for hal galper mainstream

When Hal Galper was a guest on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz, he described how he made a clean break with the Fender Rhodes, claiming that he took it to a dock on the Hudson River late one night and dumped it, cover and all.

4 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

When Hal Galper was a guest on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz, he described how he made a clean break with the Fender Rhodes, claiming that he took it to a dock on the Hudson River late one night and dumped it, cover and all.

I got a chance to talk to Hal once. I asked him to describe the sound a Rhodes makes when it hits the water. He said, "Beautiful."

With only limited exceptions (such as the Charles McPherson, and Clark Terry / Brookmeyer sessions) the Mainstream label's recordings were major disappointments to me. Too much electric piano for my taste, and recordings by musicians I like such as Harold Land, Curtis Fuller and Hal Galper were, in my opinion, far far less interesting than what those same musicians have released on other labels.

Furthermore, the general sound quality on most Mainstream recordings seemed a bit off to my ears. 

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

With only limited exceptions (such as the Charles McPherson, and Clark Terry / Brookmeyer sessions) the Mainstream label's recordings were major disappointments to me. Too much electric piano for my taste, and recordings by musicians I like such as Harold Land, Curtis Fuller and Hal Galper were, in my opinion, far far less interesting than what those same musicians have released on other labels.

Furthermore, the general sound quality on most Mainstream recordings seemed a bit off to my ears. 

I found the label's approach in the 70's to be very interesting, something different for a different era, so I really appreciate the recordings by the artists you mention.  I think the three Land recordings and the first two Buddy Terry recordings for the label are stone classics, and really am thankful for many others on the label.    Different strokes for different folks.  But I don't think anyone would argue with you about the sound quality, which always did seem a little out-of-kilter.

• 1 month later...

yeah, it's one of those "supplemnetary" things that fill out that fill out a bigger picture.

Also see that Johnny Coles Katumbo is on there. That's a typical Mainstream of the time - with better/tighter production it could have been a great record, but as it is, it is what it is. Still a better-than-good listen, though, Johnny Coles!

The bit of crossover in personnel from the then-Gil Evans band is pretty interesting:

The tune selection is as well:

1. "Never Can Say Goodbye" (Clifton Davis) - 3:01
  2. "The September of My Years" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Sammy Cahn) - 5:29
  3. "728" (Johnny Coles) - 7:17
  4. "Petits Machins" (Miles Davis, Gil Evans) - 3:41
  5. "Betty's Bossa" (Cecil Bridgewater) - 4:28
  6. "Funk Dumplin'" (Coles) - 6:49

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

It is around USD 9 so likely to fall in this category ;-) ....

Agreed on both points.  Different era, different label, I would pass on it, but that era/label are meaningful to me past the absolute musical content of the  album.  

I would agree that the Mainstream releases of the 70's reflect the period. That is probably why most of them don't reach me.

i had a large percentage of them on LP at one time and disposed of almost all of them. Hearing someone like Cedar Walton (for example) a strong favorite , playing electric piano is a turnoff for me. The general vibe of so many Mainstream albums were such a letdown for me after so many great recrdings from the 50's and 60's.

Just my personal opinion. But perhaps my old age is a key factor in my view.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I would agree that the Mainstream releases of the 70's reflect the period. That is probably why most of them don't reach me.

i had a large percentage of them on LP at one time and disposed of almost all of them. Hearing someone like Cedar Walton (for example) a strong favorite , playing electric piano is a turnoff for me. The general vibe of so many Mainstream albums were such a letdown for me after so many great recrdings from the 50's and 60's.

Just my personal opinion. But perhaps my old age is a key factor in my view.

I'm an old guy too, Peter, and I have no interest in most (or perhaps all) of Mainstream's 70's output. I don't think that age is a factor (for myself, anyway). It's strictly a matter of having some taste. 

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

I'm an old guy too, Peter, and I have no interest in most (or perhaps all) of Mainstream's 70's output. I don't think that age is a factor (for myself, anyway). It's strictly a matter of having some taste. 

Agreed from the opposite side, I'm an old guy too, but generally enjoy the label and love the Harold Land's and the first two Buddy Terry's.