felser

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

So there were two records by a group of that name, eh? I only knew the first one: https://www.discogs.com/The-Night-Blooming-Jazzmen-The-Night-Blooming-Jazzmen/master/733289

Yup.

https://www.discogs.com/Night-Blooming-Jazzmen-Freedom-Jazz-Dance/master/391042

Similar but not the same group. Watts, Kynard, Mitchell remain, with Andy Simpkins, Joe Pass, Tabackin among others added.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, BFrank said:

Here's some interesting news on a couple of levels!

Judd Apatow Revives Mainstream, Bob Shad's Independent Record Label

...but the independent record business was in its final death spiral and he got burned for a good deal of money. He folded the label and turned distribution over to Roulette.

I smell Morris Levy on all sides of that!

We get another  shot of Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue" being released on CD.  Hope this label gets it right, as the Japanese label butchered it in the spring (out this weekend according to Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/New-Shade-Blue-HAROLD-LAND/dp/B071XF7FBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507068139&sr=1-1&keywords=harold+land+a+new+shade+of+blue

15 hours ago, felser said:

We get another  shot of Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue" being released on CD.  Hope this label gets it right, as the Japanese label butchered it in the spring (out this weekend according to Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/New-Shade-Blue-HAROLD-LAND/dp/B071XF7FBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507068139&sr=1-1&keywords=harold+land+a+new+shade+of+blue

What's wrong with the previous reissue?

On ‎01‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 4:41 AM, SMB1968 said:

Never heard the original LP, so don't know if it is better or not, but the bass on the reissue is wonky (the entire mix sounds kind of off).

@gypsy: the sound quality is not outstanding to say the least - but as board member "SMB1968" mentioned the sound of the original vinyl is not remarkably better either .... but let`s wait for the jury and their listening experience with the new reissue ....

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I doubt Apatow's version will be better, will wait for one of you guys to decide that :)

I may pick up the Buddy Terry, although the Japanese Import is actually cheaper. Go figure.

BTW, I will be calling this the Apatow reissues. Simpler for me to remember.

The Japanese Solid version of "Awareness" actually sounds quite  good to my ears ....

20 hours ago, soulpope said:

@gypsy: the sound quality is not outstanding to say the least - but as board member "SMB1968" mentioned the sound of the original vinyl is not remarkably better either .... but let`s wait for the jury and their listening experience with the new reissue ....

Ah, ok. Won't bother me then. Was afraid it was an Ace-like butcher job a la Caliman or something and I didn’t notice :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, mjzee said:

Price is pretty high for these Apatow releases.

Who's Judd Apatow and why should I know? And how relates he to any of this? 

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

Who's Judd Apatow and why should I know? And how relates he to any of this? 

" Apatow’s interest in the label isn’t random: he is the grandson of Bob Shad, a pioneering jazz producer of the 1940s, who founded Mainstream in ‘64."

(From the link BFrank posted above.)

I'm not being sarcastic. I've been out of the current/popular movie loop/habit for 10-15 years now. I've seen Walk Hard, Jerry Before Seinfeld, Anchorman (the first one), The Cable Guy, and some episodes of some of those TV series, not a lot, although I really do want to binge-each Larry Sanders. I've only seen these on cable, and then mostly because I was in the room with people who wanted to watch them, and it would have been rude of me to refuse.

I've really enjoyed what little of his work I've seen, but movies have not been my thing for a good while now. Seriously. So although I have heard the name (because "the industry" makes it dam near impossible not to hear names), I really have no real idea about who he is or what he does. I do hope that he does right by Mainstream, though. That label's never really found a loving home. It's time.

That Ricky Bobby movie sounds pretty funny though. Is it on Netflix?

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

" Apatow’s interest in the label isn’t random: he is the grandson of Bob Shad, a pioneering jazz producer of the 1940s, who founded Mainstream in ‘64."

(From the link BFrank posted above.)

Thanks, missed that connection (didn't click the link, too many things floating around in my head these day, short attention span and all that being one of the sorrier consequences).

On 10/4/2017 at 10:04 AM, JSngry said:

Yeah, if you're looking for direct-miked bass of the caliber of CTI, Mainstream is not gonna be where you look. But...we adjust.

Understood (for 45 years), but the Land CD reissue was messed up (hope it's not the master tape) - I  have a burn from vinyl that is sonically far superior.  A good needle drop would  be a meaningful improvement over what was released in the spring.  And I'm not one of those guys who longs for a return to analogue or anything.

On 10/4/2017 at 0:46 PM, mjzee said:

Price is pretty high for these Apatow releases.

Wait to see what the third-party resellers do price-wise (looking at you, Import-CD's and OxfordshireEngland)

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

hope all is well (enough)...

Thanks, all very well ... just really busy  (new job, some travelling ahead, lots of stuff to finish and organise and think about and mull over etc.).

Back to the topic though: got two new deliveries from CD Japan these days, including thd new-to-me Helen Merrill! Also the Coles, Gene Ludwig, Dave Hubbard (!), the missing ones  (within thr series that is, which again still misses more) by Paul Jeffrey, Buddy Terry and Charles Williams (one has Bubba Brooks, the othe Bubba Williams - is that a mistake or was there a Bubba Williams, too?).

On 10/5/2017 at 6:53 AM, JSngry said:

I'm not being sarcastic. I've been out of the current/popular movie loop/habit for 10-15 years now. I've seen Walk Hard, Jerry Before Seinfeld, Anchorman (the first one), The Cable Guy, and some episodes of some of those TV series, not a lot, although I really do want to binge-each Larry Sanders. I've only seen these on cable, and then mostly because I was in the room with people who wanted to watch them, and it would have been rude of me to refuse.

I've really enjoyed what little of his work I've seen, but movies have not been my thing for a good while now. Seriously. So although I have heard the name (because "the industry" makes it dam near impossible not to hear names), I really have no real idea about who he is or what he does. I do hope that he does right by Mainstream, though. That label's never really found a loving home. It's time.

That Ricky Bobby movie sounds pretty funny though. Is it on Netflix?

Doesn't stream, but you can get it on DVD. I'm not a huge fan of Apatow's movies (they seem to appeal to a younger crowd), but they certainly are popular!

gregmo

On 10/9/2017 at 11:27 AM, gmonahan said:

Doesn't stream, but you can get it on DVD. I'm not a huge fan of Apatow's movies (they seem to appeal to a younger crowd), but they certainly are popular!

gregmo

Jim, just saw that that Ricky Bobby movie will be available to stream on Netflix tomorrow. Enjoy!

gregmo

• 3 weeks later...