felser

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Apatow reissue of ‘Awakening’ doesn’t sound too bad sonically at all. Having said that, none of these Mainstreams was ever the greatest in that respect. It sounds like master tapes were probably were used. For their Harold Land issue, my understanding is that the master couldn’t be located so presumably that impacts the Japanese issue of that one too.

Edited by sidewinder

The Apataw CD of the Land sounds far superior to the Japanese CD, and includes  a great bonus cut not on the Japanese CD.  You're right, those Mainstream discs always sounded a little strange, even on vinyl.

Thanks for that - I’ll pick up the Land then, even though I have a vinyl of it. Here’s hoping that they put out lots more of the Mainstream label, including the other Buddy Terrys. The reception for the first two (and the compilations) has been positive, so the omens are good.

The sound of these sessions is very NYC 1972/73/74 and reminds me of the general sound and vibe of e.g. the Elvin Jones Blue Notes of that period. A bit ‘woolly’ with loads of reverb.

The Buddy Terry has been on pretty steady replay today - love it !

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 2:29 PM, felser said:

Straight ahead hard bop, with not-unattractive 70's trappings of electric piano (George Cables) and guitar.  I am quite happy with it.  Stanley Clarke on bass - he played on a lot of Mainstream label sessions in that period, for whatever reason -  Lenny White on drums, Bill Hardman on trumpet, and some players I'm not otherwse familiar with - Bill Washer on guitar and Ray Moros on tenor sax.  Recommended if you enjoy that era where things were being stretched.  I do.

I picked up the Crankin’. I’m not a big fan of the electric piano, fusion, rock — whatever you want to call it — aspects of this session.  It has a few good moments but overall, for me, a bit disappointing. 

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

I picked up the Crankin’. I’m not a big fan of the electric piano, fusion, rock — whatever you want to call it — aspects of this session.  It has a few good moments but overall, for me, a bit disappointing. 

Well, I DID warn you ;)

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

now you're asking me questions I am not prepared to answer!

It's a nice "funky blues" record, I've only played it once or twice, but remember being very happy with it. I didn't know the name at all, so didn't know what to expect. Very happily surprised.

I didn't know the name either, tried the Bluesville release in true the-internet-is-your-friend fashion and was really impressed. Along with his guitar John Wright is on piano and King Curtis on sax.  I think I am about to go on an Arbee Stidham jag, his earliest recordings are on a couple of comps that aren't very expensive.  And looks like a few LPs late in life.

I heard samples of the Mainstream thing first thought was BB guesting with a band not actually his own.  I will definitely give it a try.