Chico Hamilon w/ Harold Land & Gabor Szabo

JSngry

Didn't want to further threadcrap the Coryell thread, but there are only two cuts that I know of, and hey. 1965.

Proto-Fusion, not that anybody was paying attention at the time.

And this, wow, this is really different.

The rest of the album is ok-ish, but shit, what is all THIS? So, yeah, I tend to buy Chico Hamilton records, just because.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

And this, wow, this is really different.

The rest of the album is ok-ish, but shit, what is all THIS? So, yeah, I tend to buy Chico Hamilton records, just because.

Beautiful - even more after Harold Land virtually bursts in .... and Albert Stinson is a capable storyteller ....

Edited by soulpope

I have - and love - all those Chico Hamilton impulse! albums with Gabor Szabo.  I especially love the eastern-tinged stuff.  

When I used to DJ, the title track from El Chico was among the tracks I would set aside for the height of the party, and it never disappointed.  I can't find it on youtube.

I'm a major latecomer to Chico Hamilton, Gabor Szabo, and the CH albums with GS; only just learned of that hook-up after picking up the budget Japanese reissue of A Different Journey last year. Went on to pick up the Passin' Thru/Man From Two Worlds twofer. Just ordered the El Chico/Further Adventures twofer (also the BS/SN box as it was going for a steel but that's another story).

Found what i've heard to be immensely enjoyable, with some tracks being more 'holy shiz!' than others but no deal breakers in there.

These albums are so accessible and so tasty... THIS is the type of stuff that i would have wanted to hear when i was starting to get in to 'acoustic' jazz, and i guess better late than never.