Song Identification: Vintage Soul

Justin V

I know this is a long shot, but here goes: I was in a CD store the other day, and they were playing an old soul song with the lyrics 'Shining star (and then 4 syllables)' as part of the chorus.  It sounded like it was sung by multiple voices in falsetto and had this shimmery feel to it.  It is not one of the most obvious candidates by EWF or The Manhattans.  I thought I had overheard one of the employees say that they were playing The Ebonys, but I haven't heard a song by The Ebonys that matches it.  If no one here knows the song, I will have to call the store and ask for the guy who was singing along, whose name I don't know, and sound like some kind of weirdo (which would be an accurate assessment).  Any ideas?

Makes me think that it's The Fatback Band's She's My Shining Star.
Did it sound almost like Maze's Joy & Pain?

There's also Precinct who did a tune with a near-falsetto called Shining Star
back in the mid-80's.

Edited by rostasi

Hey Justin!
I'm curious which song that would be. E.W.F. was what I first thought of, but you've said that was not it. Well, I don't think it is weird to ask at all, especially not at a CD store. I think you should just do so and notcare about what someone else might think. It could be that they are just happy to help you out and willing to answer your question. :)
I hope you'll tell here as soon as you've found out. I still carry warm memories about the time I was in this E.W.F cover band, 15 members and being one of the 5 singers. It was so much fun taken part. Good luck on your hunt!
Kind regards, page