Valentine's Day: a dissent.

Dmitry

I sent flowers and chocolates to Lucy's office yesterday, and I'm preparing her favorite of my meals at home tonight. We discussed it and decided this year we would make a bigger deal of our upcoming first anniversary this month than Valentine's Day, and so we shall. 

I love Valentine's Day and Lucy and I are both romantic at heart so the last two with her were great (two years ago I proposed to her on Valentine's Day). 

I tried to get ahead of the game this year.  On Sunday afternoon, my wife and I went to see An Affair to Remember at the theater.  She's a big movie buff, and she particularly likes "classic" movies.  So that was good.  After the movie we went out to dinner at a nice restaurant. 

So, after giving my two daughters some chocolates this morning, I have checked all of my Valentine's Day boxes. Gents, I am DONE. ;) 

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Rather clever, funny too. And reflects my sentiments, to a degree.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/valentines-day-a-dissent/article/2006813

I haven't made a restaurant reservation yet, and it's too late now. Got to think outside the box [of chocolates], but not too outside {Amazing.net}.

What plans you got?

" Hollow commerce-based rituals matter. They're what separate us from the animals and Communists. "

much too political for me to discuss.

Edited by uli

Speaking of communists...my father in law dutifully maintains the tradition of celebrating March 8th, the International Women's Day - flowers for M-i-L, and, perhaps, a bottle of something other than the daily vodka.

If I'm not doing anything at all dinner-wise, I've got to do the flowers, otherwise I am not looking good for a good few days.

From TV, just now -

Projected VD spending this year nationwide - 18.5 billion

Of that 4.5 billion on jewelry, 2.5 billion on flowers, 1 billion on cards.

Edited by Dmitry

It's pretty much Valentine's Day here all the time.
We often see something that we think the other
may want and go ahead and get it as a gift.

But today is also our wedding anniversary
(22 years - been together 30) and the rain has
sidelined some plans that we had, but that's OK:
we'll get to it tomorrow or next.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I will do my best not to die today. Or fart at home.

You're hilarious! :D

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Outside of that, EVERY day is Valentines' Day here at Mister Jim's house.

My kind of guy! Years ago I won a prize with a poem which I called "Valentine". I had used a title of my favourite band, who's fanclub had set the contest, which was "weekday" and basically I did tell a girl prefers to be surprised unexpectedly on just some day of the week rather than on a day where it seems to be obligatory and somewhat an commercial event. In my country it is not custom btw to do anything at Valentine's day.
I did get a card today from a friend. My guy suggested to go out tomorrownight and go see some poetrymovie which got great reviews. I've forgotten the title now, but he knows I like poetry.

Edited by page

My wife is CFO of a successful Private Equity firm; thus Valentine's Day becomes extremely competitive among her office-mates.  I've learned to go big or go home with the flower delivery.  However it's amateur night on the restaurant scene, so it's two inch filets at home with 2002 Taittinger Comptes de Champagne, 1994 Dominus that I just poured into a decanter, and chocolate covered strawberries.

15 hours ago, stephenrr said:

My wife is CFO of a successful Private Equity firm; thus Valentine's Day becomes extremely competitive among her office-mates.  I've learned to go big or go home with the flower delivery.  However it's amateur night on the restaurant scene, so it's two inch filets at home with 2002 Taittinger Comptes de Champagne, 1994 Dominus that I just poured into a decanter, and chocolate covered strawberries.

What vintage were the strawberries?;)

Amidst the very grey Dutch winter it was Valentine’s Day, the day of red roses, pink hearts and romance.
The weather was nice, after a long time, the sun was shining.  We, my boyfriend and I, enjoyed the Valentine's Dinner and I enjoyed the cards and flowers I got. The last ten years (or even more) Valentine's Day is very popular in the Netherlands. Not only for lovers. We even sent good friends a card. :)

On 14-2-2017 at 6:41 PM, rostasi said:

But today is also our wedding anniversary
(22 years - been together 30) and the rain has
sidelined some plans that we had, but that's OK:
we'll get to it tomorrow or next.

A belated Happy Anniversary to you both! :)