Oscar Peterson, Short List

StarThrower

On 2/26/2017 at 4:12 AM, Olie Brice said:

I'm far from an Oscar Peterson fan, but I do love the Ben Webster album with the OP trio.  Webster on sublime form, some of the best Ray Brown on record and OP at his least obtrusive...

I love this one too, and really like his playing on it.  I'm not a giant fan and find him somewhat tedious in a trio format, but the stuff that irritates other folks on this thread doesn't really bother me.

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Oscar Peterson Original Poster playing .... ha ... :g

Not "the OP". Just "OP". Big difference ...

Trying to pull someone's leg? :lol:

I just thought it was funny skimming through the thread, I kept seeing all these references to "OP" and I though they were talking about the the original poster, or Opie from the Andy Griffith show. 

Well, I was familiar with "OP" from previous Oscar Peterson threads and thought nothing of it here (though normally I am not one to use abbreviations excessively, such as all that YMMV stuff and so on ...), and somehow I was under the impression that what you took to mean "OP" is most frequently referred to as the "thread starter".

But I CAN see your point of "double entendre". ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I readily admit to being an Oscar Peterson fan. However I would not want to listen to him play all the time. The devices scale patterns he uses a fair amount does not make him unique. Many jazz musicians, both pianists and those on other instruments have devices and patterns I can hear on a number of their recordings.

Larry refers to Jimmy Rowles who I greatly admire. Rowles and Oscar are in many ways polar opposites within the modern jazz piano realm. O.P. plays a lot of notes, likes to often play very uptempo while Rowes, tends to go in a different direction. One of the things that makes jazz such a rich listening experience for me is the large variety of styles, and approaches, to the music. That means, for me, that I can get great enjoyment from listening to Horace Silver, Barry Harris, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Sonny Clark, Jimmy Rowles, Bud Powell, and numerous others each bring their own individuality to what they play.  

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I readily admit to being an Oscar Peterson fan. However I would not want to listen to him play all the time. The devices scale patterns he uses a fair amount does not make him unique. Many jazz musicians, both pianists and those on other instruments have devices and patterns I can hear on a number of their recordings.

Larry refers to Jimmy Rowles who I greatly admire. Rowles and Oscar are in many ways polar opposites within the modern jazz piano realm. O.P. plays a lot of notes, likes to often play very uptempo while Rowes, tends to go in a different direction. One of the things that makes jazz such a rich listening experience for me is the large variety of styles, and approaches, to the music. That means, for me, that I can get great enjoyment from listening to Horace Silver, Barry Harris, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Sonny Clark, Jimmy Rowles, Bud Powell, and numerous others each bring their own individuality to what they play.  

I concur completely with Peter has written.

This box set consists of 4 CD's which I have separately. But these CD's (recorded in 1990) are on my short list of favorite OP recordings (and very close to the top). The cover is actually a bit misleading since it's a quartet throughout with Bobby Durham on drums.

MI0000486421.jpg?partner=allrovi.com   

Edited by John Tapscott

On 2/25/2017 at 11:56 AM, jeffsjazz said:

OP recorded many great ones ! Just off the the top of my head

1.Exclusively for my (MPS) 4 cd box recorded exquisitely in Germany

2. Night Train

3. Affinity

4.Live in Tokyo /Japan (Jazz Lips - or some other Andorran grey label.A very well recorded live outing with R. Brown and E. Thigpen

5. Prez w/OP trio - outstanding !

I concur especially on #1....