ECM New Series

JSngry

The list seems kinda disorganized! I can't tell how (or even if) it's sorted. Granted, sorting would be tough considering that many of the titles feature multiple composers. [Added: It's pretty much in numerical order (not exactly chronological), except for a lot of weirdness on pp. 1 and 5.]

Edited by T.D.

Actually I think in terms of recent (i.e. 2000 and later) releases, I'm a much bigger fan generally speaking of New Series than ECM's jazz releases. All those Keller, Kurtág, Holliger, Zehetmair discs, Kremer doing Weinberg, Kopatchinskaja ...

The listing here actually shows that the catalogue numbers are on-going, "New Series" being added where applicable/called for (including the Reich albums of course):

https://ecmreviews.com/catalogue/

7 hours ago, king ubu said:

Actually I think in terms of recent (i.e. 2000 and later) releases, I'm a much bigger fan generally speaking of New Series than ECM's jazz releases. All those Keller, Kurtág, Holliger, Zehetmair discs, Kremer doing Weinberg, Kopatchinskaja ...

Yes, it's the new Kremer/Weinberg release that has cuahgt my ear and stimulated curiosity. Looking back, I found something by the Arditti Quartet that I had to look into, that's such a great banc...also appears that the New Series has recording of some Elliot Carter works, that's something else to get to.

Still more new music to look into...praying for a long, healthy, non-destitute life!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes, it's the new Kremer/Weinberg release that has cuahgt my ear and stimulated curiosity. Looking back, I found something by the Arditti Quartet that I had to look into, that's such a great banc...also appears that the New Series has recording of some Elliot Carter works, that's something else to get to.

Still more new music to look into...praying for a long, healthy, non-destitute life!

Here's a review of the Kremer/Weinberg from WSJ.  PM me if you can't open it.  It's titled "‘Chamber Symphonies—Piano Quintet’ by Gidon Kremer and Kremerata Baltica Review."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chamber-symphoniespiano-quintet-by-gidon-kremer-and-kremerata-baltica-review-1485194421

Though ECM New Series is a good label, for whatever reason I don't buy nearly as many as I once did.

If you like Herbert Henck's piano playing, he's recorded a whole lot* a fair amount of the contemporary repertory for ECM NS. [FWIW, my opinion is mixed; I find he has a very light touch and isn't that suited to works with wide dynamic range. For instance, I like his recordings of Hans Otte's Das Buch der Klange and Mosolov (though the Mosolov pieces are more "interesting" than memorable), but would look elsewhere for Nancarrow and Barraque discs.]

* [Added] Damn, shows how out of touch I am: I thought for a long while that Henck was practically ECM's "house pianist", but he seems to have stopped recording for them in the early oughts! His Mompou is probably worth checking out (though I haven't heard it).

Edited by T.D.

I'm kind of the same way about Gidon Kremer.
I was in love with the '70s version of Schnittke's
Concerto Grosso #1 with Grindenko on Melodiya
in the early '80s, but by the early '90s, it seemed that
he was showing up on all kinds of recordings that
gave me the impression that he was becoming, at best,
sloppy and, at worst, grandstanding and celebrity-like -
almost Eugene Fodor-ish in slick presentation.
Still, he brought Schnittke out of the shadows.

Edited by rostasi

Welcoming any and all opinions about this label, its output, etc. It's a world I know very little about past the earlier Monk/Reich things, and a little Part (who I actually like in doses). Most of it has been totally off my radar, by choice and/or otherwise, so...shine a light, please.

Few random impressions:

I generally prefer discs devoted to a single composer, which may be a reason I don't buy so many ECM NS.

Agreed that the Kurtag stuff is good.

Re. Arditti, I recommend the Ruzicka, but happen to dislike Gavin Bryars's music (YMMV).

In Renaissance polyphony, I  generally find the Hilliard Ensemble best avoided (better alternatives elsewhere).

Holliger is good, though I cut back because my appetite for 12-tone art songs is limited.

B.A. Zimmermann is a favorite of mine; the Bach/Zimmermann disc with Thomas Demenga is good.

The Lachenmann stuff is worth a listen, perhaps also the Scelsi (esp. the disc with Uitti) if you don't already own recordings.

ECM NS records a lot of Tuur; I liked a couple of his recordings (rock-influenced classical) but had limited appetite.

Ustvolskaya (for sure) and Gubaidulina may be worth investigating, subject to my comments on multi-composer CDs.

The disc "Voci" with Berio's Folk Songs would be good if you don't already have recordings of the Folk Songs (the non-ECM with Cathy Berberian is preferable IMO).

11 hours ago, T.D. said:

* [Added] Damn, shows how out of touch I am: I thought for a long while that Henck was practically ECM's "house pianist", but he seems to have stopped recording for them in the early oughts! His Mompou is probably worth checking out (though I haven't heard it).

I've been just hinted to Henck's Mompou New Series recording which is exceptional ....

pre-glacial Afanassiev, greater (emotionally & technically) than fucking Brendel & Uchida's careers, combined.

all Heinz Holliger as a composer worth hearing as is are his recordings of 20th c. composers not as much findable Holliger / ECM youtube as expected / not all Kancheli is the best Kancheli A La Duduki (I believe Duduki is a type of Georgian dumpling, often served in an invigorating lamb broth)  good for winter ice storms and summer droughts on the prairie or steppes alike