is 50s Discovery records the same as 80s Discovery

• 1 month later...

The Discovery masters recorded by Marx for his Discovery Hollywood label were sold to Jack Bergman, Saul Boltin, and Herb Silverman in 1952. The newly established Discovery Records New York continued the line, same label logo, with releases by Art Pepper and others. Herman Lubinsky of Savoy-Regent Records acquired all of the Discovery masters in in 1956. Many of the original Marx masters were repackaged on a variety of Savoy LPs in the mid/late 1950s. When Marx re-established his Discovery label, new logo, releases did not include any of the Discovery Hollywood masters that he no longer owned.

Marx reactivated Discovery in 1977 along with Dennis Smith, a former jazz disc jockey. Their initial releases included Jack Wilson's "Innovations", and Joe Pass's "Guitar Interludes." Other scheduled releases for the label included sessions by Bill Henderson, Mike Woffard, Charles Owens, Tommy Vig, Clare Fischer, and Gerald Wilson.

Edited by JamesAHarrod
Additional details.

He must have recorded his share of oddities in the early days. Going through my 78s (which aren't all that numerous or refined - compared to what Jeffcrom or Clunky have, for example)  the other day, I pulled out this one and had to give it a spin again:
Certainly not typical early Discovery fare. Did Savoy recycle this one too?

28830051az.jpg

28830052xd.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

What happened to the revived Discovery label after Marx's death? Are the heirs just sitting on the masters or have they been sold? I can't remember if Bill Mays included this story in his book, but I think he did. He referred to Albert Marx as the lost Marx Brother, Cheepo. He had a table next to the pianist during a live recording and after they finished the number, instead of congratulating the musicians, he exclaimed, "Great take! Four minutes and twenty-three seconds!" All he could think about was getting the right length for airplay.