Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StarThrower

Frank Zappa

41 posts in this topic

Zappa.com only vault releases to be re-issued for general retailers on March 24, 2017.
These titles listed at Amazon:

Philly '76
Hammersmith '78
Greasy Love Songs aka Reuben & The Jets
Carnegie Hall 1971
FZ:OZ
One Shot Deal
Everything Is Healing Nicely
Roxy By Proxy
Dance Me This
Buffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting to get Greasy Love Songs at a reasonable price, good news there.  I tend to avoid the  Flo and Eddie crudities and most of the post- "One Size Fits All" stuff, love the Grand Wazoo-type instrumental work and the original 60's group.  Any other recommendations based on those parameters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's a few more titles than just those listed in the first post.  I know I saw this one, that I was entirely unaware of (all synclavier), and from my sampling of the entire thing off Youtube, it appears to be a bridge between Jazz From Hell, and Civ Phase III (and seems to mostly date from shortly after Jazz From Hell).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_Monkies_at_Ma_Maison

Thought sure I saw other titles too, in a Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, felser said:

Been waiting to get Greasy Love Songs at a reasonable price, good news there.  I tend to avoid the  Flo and Eddie crudities and most of the post- "One Size Fits All" stuff, love the Grand Wazoo-type instrumental work and the original 60's group.  Any other recommendations based on those parameters?

Wazoo Boston '72 should be right up your alley. A great 2 disc set featuring the short lived 20 piece wind heavy ensemble. And Roxy By Proxy is a must for the Nappy Brock/George Duke era band. And Road Tapes Venue 2 from that era. Sound isn't great, but it's a wonderful concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StarThrower said:

Wazoo Boston '72 should be right up your alley. A great 2 disc set featuring the short lived 20 piece wind heavy ensemble. And Roxy By Proxy is a must for the Nappy Brock/George Duke era band. And Road Tapes Venue 2 from that era. Sound isn't great, but it's a wonderful concert.

I have that Road Tapes set, and do like it (in fact all three of them) quite a bit.  Anything from the list of March 24 reissues?

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned Roxy By Proxy. The others don't fit your "parameters".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, StarThrower said:

I mentioned Roxy By Proxy. The others don't fit your "parameters".

Got it, thx.  I know, I talk like the IT guy I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, felser said:

Been waiting to get Greasy Love Songs at a reasonable price, good news there.  I tend to avoid the  Flo and Eddie crudities and most of the post- "One Size Fits All" stuff, love the Grand Wazoo-type instrumental work and the original 60's group.  Any other recommendations based on those parameters?

The Flo & Eddie era was by far his worst. I found them neither funny nor entertaining. The Fillmore date is the least listened to Zappa album I own. I'm not even sure I've ever listened to the entire thing in one listening. Listened to it until I couldn't take any more, and tried the rest another time in hopes that it would get better. It didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Flo & Eddie! No worst periods for me. I'm a big fan of Chunga's Revenge, 200 Motels, and I love the Minneapolis concert released on Road Tapes 3. The old Mothers band can be found on Road Tapes #1, and Finer Moments. And on Ahead Of Their Time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StarThrower said:

I love Flo & Eddie! No worst periods for me. I'm a big fan of Chunga's Revenge, 200 Motels, and I love the Minneapolis concert released on Road Tapes 3. The old Mothers band can be found on Road Tapes #1, and Finer Moments. And on Ahead Of Their Time.

Road Tapes #3 is interesting because, even though flo & Eddie are on board, the band is doing older material.  Jim, you may want to check that one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 0:47 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I think there's a few more titles than just those listed in the first post.  I know I saw this one, that I was entirely unaware of (all synclavier), and from my sampling of the entire thing off Youtube, it appears to be a bridge between Jazz From Hell, and Civ Phase III (and seems to mostly date from shortly after Jazz From Hell).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_Monkies_at_Ma_Maison

Thought sure I saw other titles too, in a Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the subject.

It was amusing to see my AMG review of the CD as a footnote.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Zappa I'd considering adding to my collection (at this time), would be something by that BWS band, with the Bunk Gardner, Ian Underwood, Don Preston, etc. Is there anything from that lineup coming out? Or am I good with BWS & Weasels, Hot Rats in addition? I bought most of the Verves in real-ish time (in print, in stores) and of course am keeping that. But not adding to.

FWIW, I really liked the Flo & Eddie stuff when it got all operatic and shit, Billy The Mountain was a freaking epic. But the whole Mud Shark thing hasn't worn well with me, as has not Zappa's ongoing puerile genital humor (c.f. Roy Estrada, #youfuckingasshole). I've learned to take the great with the cringeworthy, but have no desire to add any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, felser said:

Road Tapes #3 is interesting because, even though flo & Eddie are on board, the band is doing older material.  Jim, you may want to check that one out.

And it's interesting to hear the full tunes whose improv sections were spliced together to form The Nancy and Mary Music released on Chunga's Revenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The only Zappa I'd considering adding to my collection (at this time), would be something by that BWS band, with the Bunk Gardner, Ian Underwood, Don Preston, etc. Is there anything from that lineup coming out? Or am I good with BWS & Weasels, Hot Rats in addition? I bought most of the Verves in real-ish time (in print, in stores) and of course am keeping that. But not adding to.

FWIW, I really liked the Flo & Eddie stuff when it got all operatic and shit, Billy The Mountain was a freaking epic. But the whole Mud Shark thing hasn't worn well with me, as has not Zappa's ongoing puerile genital humor (c.f. Roy Estrada, #youfuckingasshole). I've learned to take the great with the cringeworthy, but have no desire to add any more.

Check out Road Tapes #1, it's that band and really good.  Live in Vancouver in August 1968.

 

Disc one[edit]

  1. "The Importance of an Earnest Attempt (By Hand)" – 3:44
  2. "Help, I'm a Rock/Transylvania Boogie" – 9:30
  3. "Flopsmash Musics" – 4:50
  4. "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" – 3:59
  5. "The Orange County Lumber Truck" – 20:57
  6. "The Rewards of a Career in Music" – 3:29

Disc two[edit]

  1. "Trouble Every Day" – 5:08
  2. "Shortly: Suite Exists of Holiday in Berlin Full Blown" – 9:29
  3. "Pound for a Brown" – 3:13
  4. "Sleeping in a Jar" – 3:23
  5. "Oh, in the Sky" – 2:42
  6. "Octandre" – 7:40 (Varèse)
  7. "King Kong" – 10:17

Personnel[edit]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks good, thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

road tapes Ponty Duke Underwood x 2 Fowler x 2 Humphrey

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 0:44 AM, JSngry said:

The only Zappa I'd considering adding to my collection (at this time), would be something by that BWS band, with the Bunk Gardner, Ian Underwood, Don Preston, etc. Is there anything from that lineup coming out? Or am I good with BWS & Weasels, Hot Rats in addition? I bought most of the Verves in real-ish time (in print, in stores) and of course am keeping that. But not adding to.

FWIW, I really liked the Flo & Eddie stuff when it got all operatic and shit, Billy The Mountain was a freaking epic. But the whole Mud Shark thing hasn't worn well with me, as has not Zappa's ongoing puerile genital humor (c.f. Roy Estrada, #youfuckingasshole). I've learned to take the great with the cringeworthy, but have no desire to add any more.

Perhaps "Meat Light", the expanded / remastered edition of "Uncle Meat"? https://www.amazon.com/Meat-Light-Uncle-Project-Object/dp/B01M69ONQZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487552122&sr=8-1&keywords=zappa+meat  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three and a half hours! Wow! 

I may have to grab that one. Uncle Meat was brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Three and a half hours! Wow! 

I may have to grab that one. Uncle Meat was brilliant. 

That's a good set, gets rid of the extraneous garbage "penalty" cuts on the Ryko.  Also includes the original mix, with some different songs,  And not that expensive.  Glad I have it.

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They still insist on calling the original Cruisin' With Reuben and The Jets Greasy Love Songs, eh? Can't admit to a fuckup, sad. I'm ok with keeping the "re-do", it's not without its perverse charm, but give THAT one  a different name, ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

They still insist on calling the original Cruisin' With Reuben and The Jets Greasy Love Songs, eh? Can't admit to a fuckup, sad. I'm ok with keeping the "re-do", it's not without its perverse charm, but give THAT one  a different name, ok?

They have been giving different names to all of the MOFO Project CD sets.  Interesting that some include the original versions and some don't, act purely as supplements.  Wish the original round of Ryko ones had been done right in the first place - what a mess those were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.