Frank Zappa

StarThrower

Been waiting to get Greasy Love Songs at a reasonable price, good news there.  I tend to avoid the  Flo and Eddie crudities and most of the post- "One Size Fits All" stuff, love the Grand Wazoo-type instrumental work and the original 60's group.  Any other recommendations based on those parameters?

I think there's a few more titles than just those listed in the first post.  I know I saw this one, that I was entirely unaware of (all synclavier), and from my sampling of the entire thing off Youtube, it appears to be a bridge between Jazz From Hell, and Civ Phase III (and seems to mostly date from shortly after Jazz From Hell).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_Monkies_at_Ma_Maison

Thought sure I saw other titles too, in a Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the subject.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Been waiting to get Greasy Love Songs at a reasonable price, good news there.  I tend to avoid the  Flo and Eddie crudities and most of the post- "One Size Fits All" stuff, love the Grand Wazoo-type instrumental work and the original 60's group.  Any other recommendations based on those parameters?

Wazoo Boston '72 should be right up your alley. A great 2 disc set featuring the short lived 20 piece wind heavy ensemble. And Roxy By Proxy is a must for the Nappy Brock/George Duke era band. And Road Tapes Venue 2 from that era. Sound isn't great, but it's a wonderful concert.

1 hour ago, StarThrower said:

Wazoo Boston '72 should be right up your alley. A great 2 disc set featuring the short lived 20 piece wind heavy ensemble. And Roxy By Proxy is a must for the Nappy Brock/George Duke era band. And Road Tapes Venue 2 from that era. Sound isn't great, but it's a wonderful concert.

I have that Road Tapes set, and do like it (in fact all three of them) quite a bit.  Anything from the list of March 24 reissues?

Edited by felser

21 hours ago, felser said:

The Flo & Eddie era was by far his worst. I found them neither funny nor entertaining. The Fillmore date is the least listened to Zappa album I own. I'm not even sure I've ever listened to the entire thing in one listening. Listened to it until I couldn't take any more, and tried the rest another time in hopes that it would get better. It didn't. 

3 hours ago, StarThrower said:

I love Flo & Eddie! No worst periods for me. I'm a big fan of Chunga's Revenge, 200 Motels, and I love the Minneapolis concert released on Road Tapes 3. The old Mothers band can be found on Road Tapes #1, and Finer Moments. And on Ahead Of Their Time.

Road Tapes #3 is interesting because, even though flo & Eddie are on board, the band is doing older material.  Jim, you may want to check that one out.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:47 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I think there's a few more titles than just those listed in the first post.  I know I saw this one, that I was entirely unaware of (all synclavier), and from my sampling of the entire thing off Youtube, it appears to be a bridge between Jazz From Hell, and Civ Phase III (and seems to mostly date from shortly after Jazz From Hell).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_Monkies_at_Ma_Maison

Thought sure I saw other titles too, in a Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the subject.

It was amusing to see my AMG review of the CD as a footnote.

The only Zappa I'd considering adding to my collection (at this time), would be something by that BWS band, with the Bunk Gardner, Ian Underwood, Don Preston, etc. Is there anything from that lineup coming out? Or am I good with BWS & Weasels, Hot Rats in addition? I bought most of the Verves in real-ish time (in print, in stores) and of course am keeping that. But not adding to.

FWIW, I really liked the Flo & Eddie stuff when it got all operatic and shit, Billy The Mountain was a freaking epic. But the whole Mud Shark thing hasn't worn well with me, as has not Zappa's ongoing puerile genital humor (c.f. Roy Estrada, #youfuckingasshole). I've learned to take the great with the cringeworthy, but have no desire to add any more.

6 hours ago, felser said:

Road Tapes #3 is interesting because, even though flo & Eddie are on board, the band is doing older material.  Jim, you may want to check that one out.

And it's interesting to hear the full tunes whose improv sections were spliced together to form The Nancy and Mary Music released on Chunga's Revenge.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The only Zappa I'd considering adding to my collection (at this time), would be something by that BWS band, with the Bunk Gardner, Ian Underwood, Don Preston, etc. Is there anything from that lineup coming out? Or am I good with BWS & Weasels, Hot Rats in addition? I bought most of the Verves in real-ish time (in print, in stores) and of course am keeping that. But not adding to.

FWIW, I really liked the Flo & Eddie stuff when it got all operatic and shit, Billy The Mountain was a freaking epic. But the whole Mud Shark thing hasn't worn well with me, as has not Zappa's ongoing puerile genital humor (c.f. Roy Estrada, #youfuckingasshole). I've learned to take the great with the cringeworthy, but have no desire to add any more.

Check out Road Tapes #1, it's that band and really good.  Live in Vancouver in August 1968.

Disc one[edit]

1. "The Importance of an Earnest Attempt (By Hand)" – 3:44
  2. "Help, I'm a Rock/Transylvania Boogie" – 9:30
  3. "Flopsmash Musics" – 4:50
  4. "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" – 3:59
  5. "The Orange County Lumber Truck" – 20:57
  6. "The Rewards of a Career in Music" – 3:29

Disc two[edit]

1. "Trouble Every Day" – 5:08
  2. "Shortly: Suite Exists of Holiday in Berlin Full Blown" – 9:29
  3. "Pound for a Brown" – 3:13
  4. "Sleeping in a Jar" – 3:23
  5. "Oh, in the Sky" – 2:42
  6. "Octandre" – 7:40 (Varèse)
  7. "King Kong" – 10:17

Personnel[edit]

On 2/18/2017 at 0:44 AM, JSngry said:

Perhaps "Meat Light", the expanded / remastered edition of "Uncle Meat"? https://www.amazon.com/Meat-Light-Uncle-Project-Object/dp/B01M69ONQZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487552122&sr=8-1&keywords=zappa+meat  

5 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Three and a half hours! Wow! 

I may have to grab that one. Uncle Meat was brilliant. 

That's a good set, gets rid of the extraneous garbage "penalty" cuts on the Ryko.  Also includes the original mix, with some different songs,  And not that expensive.  Glad I have it.

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

They still insist on calling the original Cruisin' With Reuben and The Jets Greasy Love Songs, eh? Can't admit to a fuckup, sad. I'm ok with keeping the "re-do", it's not without its perverse charm, but give THAT one  a different name, ok?

They have been giving different names to all of the MOFO Project CD sets.  Interesting that some include the original versions and some don't, act purely as supplements.  Wish the original round of Ryko ones had been done right in the first place - what a mess those were.