French Horn Recommendations

spinlps

My daughter was asked to take up the French horn (she currently plays trumpet) next year for the school band / orchestra. I'm looking for recordings which highlight the horn to help familiarize her with the sound / capabilities of the instrument before she starts lessons this summer. Jazz, Classical, etc... any genre.

Jazz: Mark Taylor - QuietLand (Mapleshade). Out of print, but cheap copies are easy to find on Amazon. Excellent music, impeccably recorded.

Classical: Mozart's four horn concerti, but on a modern horn. (Historical "natural" horn may freak her out.). I like Barry Tuckwell's recording from the 1980s.

Edited by jeffcrom

3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Jazz: Mark Taylor - QuietLand (Mapleshade). Out of print, but cheap copies are easy to find on Amazon. Excellent music, impeccably recorded.

Classical: Mozart's four horn concerti, but on a modern horn. (Historical "natural" horn may freak her out.). I like Barry Tuckwell's recording from the 1980s.

My mom played the french horn, and her favorite players were Tuckwell and Dennis Brain (she loved Brain's recordings of the Mozart).

She (and I) enjoyed this Tuckwell recording with George Shearing on Concord (1986), which I gave her for Christmas many years ago:

71tHkbcv7GL._SX355_.jpg

On 20/02/2017 at 11:32 PM, Peter Friedman said:

For classical music check out the Brahms Horn Trio, a favorite of mine along with the previously mentioned Mozart Horn Concertos.

julius Watkins is the man for jazz horn. 

Strong connection for Brahms who played the instrument and also Richard Strauss (the two horn concertos), son of a horn player.

For reference there is a Wikipedia list of classical compositions for the instrument:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_for_horn

For XXth century, I would try Ligeti's trio for Violin, horn and piano -- it is given here in Paris soon and I would like to see it if I can get a ticket.

julius watkins vol 2 dawg

wait wait wait wait..................

i just read yr post more carefully..........

she """""""was asked"""""""????  well does she WANT to or does she dig trumpet.   this sounds fishy.  im assuming this is high school or university band?  

its an OBSCURE INSTRUMENT.  and as a career instrument, tpt and FH are like apples n oranges, no?

unless her band director is Sun Ra "here, you will play bassoon now", i say she should do whatever u and her feel is best--- THE BAND DIRECTOR IS PRO FRENCH HORN CAUSE ITS A HARD ONE TO GET PPL TO PLAY, as i said, obsucre instrument

heres another way you could decide:

does she, or does she not, love THE SIDEWINDER?

if yes....KEEP TPT

if no....maybe FH?

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

heres another way you could decide:

does she, or does she not, love THE SIDEWINDER?

if yes....KEEP TPT

if no....maybe FH?

Stripped of its instrument-specific outcome, I think that's a more or less definitive/foolproof decisional paradigm for all of life.