• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

H0109-L112985711.jpg

H0109-L112985714.jpg

Estimate: $300 - $500
Description: Zena Ida Booyakovitch (American, 1924-), also known as Zuka, two jazz-related paintings to include: "Count Basie and Band," acrylic on canvas, signed and dated "1991 Paris" verso; "Count Basie and Billie Holliday," acrylic on canvas, signed and dated "Paris 1991" verso, 16" high x 13" wide. Provenance: from a Los Angeles, California estate.

40 minutes ago, Cyril said:

Dmitry, what's so bad at this painting? And what makes a painting good or bad?

Would I hang it up on a wall in my house? That's one of my criteria for bad art. Absolutely no snobbery involved, just humor.

il_570xN.739715357_gw8e.jpg

0JamesonAdIMG_1059edit.jpg

celeb112311.jpg

Painting by Artist Steve Lang featuring FRANK SINATRA, DEAN MARTIN, SAMMY DAVIS JR and MARILYN MONROE, (l to r), 

Yep, that's a lovely representation of Bird.

Now, The Blue Dog...probably made millions for the artist.

rodrigue_91971_3.jpg

Not to be outdone by the cool cats; and mice! Mice even wear tiny dark glasses. How cute! And jazzy.

fb1a777a60b53c813da0b5509f59d8d3.jpg

EL GATO GOMEZ PAINTING RETRO 1950S JAZZ CAT MID CENTURY MODERN BEATNIK BONGO MOD

These poodles sure know how to jazz-party. Doggy Style, baby! Complete harmony here, white and black poodles having fun together, even one apricot poodle, whatever he represents. 

4bff8b887d45a0dffae73211429f3fab.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, Dmitry said:

Would I hang it up on a wall in my house? That's one of my criteria for bad art. Absolutely no snobbery involved, just humor.

il_570xN.739715357_gw8e.jpg

0JamesonAdIMG_1059edit.jpg

celeb112311.jpg

Painting by Artist Steve Lang featuring FRANK SINATRA, DEAN MARTIN, SAMMY DAVIS JR and MARILYN MONROE, (l to r), 

These are all really bad, especially the bottom one.

A complete set of 100,500 portraits of Duke Ellington seated at the piano, looking at ya kid.

image.php?type=P&id=20829

Duke-Ellington— PALETTE KNIFE Oil Painting On Canvas By Leonid Afremov

Duke-Ellington1.jpg

Oil Painting Portrait of Duke Ellington Donated to C.A.R.T.I.'s “All That Jazz” Fundraiser

1-duke_ellington.jpg

Another magnum opus by   Leonid Afremov 

11381888_1.jpg?v=8CE5FE0955CF970

Artist: LEO OFREMON 
Title of Art: DUKE ELLINGTON 
Medium: HAND SIGNED ORIGINAL ACRYLIC PAINTING ON CANVAS - HEAVY TEXTURE PALETTE KNIFE TECHNIQUE 
Edition Size: ORIGINAL 
Art Size: 30x40 
Framed Size: Unframed 
Value: $ 4000 
The artist Leo Ofremon was born in Vitebsk, Belarus in 1955-- the same town where Mark Chagall was born. 

Well, if it's Chagall's homie...let him through. ;)

dukeellington3.jpg

A-ha, we got an alternate take to the left.

sir-duke-ellington-2015-everett-spruill.

Everett Spruill Painting - Sir Duke Ellington by Everett Spruill

duke-ellington-david-lloyd-glover.jpg

Duke Ellington by David Lloyd Glover

613ST7HTTYL.jpg

1565500-7.jpg

11c3c4_f954b7b956b64a4596862e3ec051ad11.

This image is actually on the Wikipedia page for "Jazz" since it is a 1915 painting by Albert Gleizes titled "Composition pour Jazz" and marks an early use of the word "jazz"

Albert_Gleizes%2C_1915%2C_Composition_po

It does nothing for me as "art", but it's in the Guggenheim Museum.  Better it should hang on their wall than mine, is all I can say.

52 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

This image is actually on the Wikipedia page for "Jazz" since it is a 1915 painting by Albert Gleizes titled "Composition pour Jazz" and marks an early use of the word "jazz"

It does nothing for me as "art", but it's in the Guggenheim Museum.  Better it should hang on their wall than mine, is all I can say.

I'm not good at deciphering cubism, but I see a guy in a tux playing banjo. It doesn't end well. 

44 minutes ago, Cyril said:

Dmirty, the most portraits of Duke Ellington are very good IMHO. I like them (the most)  That's why I asked yesterday:  " What makes a painting good or bad?" The one preferred red and another blue......:) 

John_Coltrane_painting_artwork_Epiphany-

Edited by Dmitry

50 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Beautiful painting, That's art. The one likes Brueghel the other Picasso ! ;-)

CRI_203540.jpg

Piet Mondrian, "Broadway Boogie Woogie" (1942-43)

... and while we're with boogie woogie, how about this for jazz and good art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJ-yOhpYIM (Norman McLaren, "Boogie Doodle" (1940)

... and then there are what Stuart Davis called his "Jazz Paintings":

009.jpg

"Swing Landscape" (1938)

Edited by BillF

Agreed with Cyril about the quality of the Albert Gleizes painting as a work of art. Jazz in the title or not.

And I also like the Mondrian work.

Others may consider Grandma Moses (and maybe jazz groups painted in that style) as the ultimate in art, so ... ?

FWIW, frm an art point of view I can't really see the point of many of these Ellington paintings either. Painting (airbrushing?) over actual photographs and therefore just copying them - what's the point except to produce a piece of workmanly effort? Not really "creative" art IMO there.

OTOH ....

6 hours ago, BillF said:

From the worst to the best ...

2oc5kojq.any_.jpg

From the worst to the best - maybe ...

Yet I always failed to see the point why he had to use a photo of Bird as a basis that - certainly not without reason - was captioned in "Bird Lives" as "Tired, fat, disenchanted and looking ten or fifteen years older ...a very played out Bird." Not very flattering ... I wonder what Esther Bubley would have had to say about the details of this composition ... Not to mention her less than pleasant dealings with the people at the record company issuing that record (acocrding to the book authored by Hank O'Neal somebody at Clef/Norgran cheated her out of most of the negatives featuring Bird after - apparently on the urging of DSM - she had consented to lend them her negatives and photos from that session - and never got them back in their entirety. Shame!!!)

Edited by Big Beat Steve