Bad jazz art.

Dmitry

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

2069626-IZKTRSPV-7.jpg

That's the kind of stuff Guy Peellaert did in the field of rock music more than 40 years ago (anybody remember "Rock Dreams"?)

The jury is still out on whether this really is art (or even "high" art) but it can be fun to look at. But it can become kitschy too.

And sticklers for detail will wonder whether '46-48 DeSoto taxis were actually still in use in NY at all (I doubt it) when Miles and Trane could have hopped into one at the time they looked like this - and whether cars typically parked at the curb were THAT old. :P

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Yet I always failed to see the point why he had to use a photo of Bird as a basis that - certainly not without reason - was captioned in "Bird Lives" as "Tired, fat, disenchanted and looking ten or fifteen years older ...a very played out Bird." 

Because it was for the cover of a 1952 album, when Bird had only three years left to live.

10662e1b985d8ecb1ac9ca49a1cc89a8.jpg

Thats not quite what I meant. What I meant was what would have kept DSM from using a somewhat more ... well ... positive photo as the model for doing this drawing? Such photos did exist, particularly from that session, and could have been worked into that collage just as well.

(Yes I know I am talking from a perspective of hindsight, but still ... ;))

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Compare the finish of the two boogie woogie paintings. Masking tape, used during painting, is still in place in the later work.

Maybe it's master tape, not masking tape... Has anyone tried playing it? Could be some bitchin' boogie-woogie.

Love the human sax player! The shading of her dress evokes Hokusai.  Now that's art.Great find!

Guess who this is.

tmonk_large.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

This one is not that bad.  

16864750_1314871085222949_19943346600434

This is a beautiful painting of Sonny. I only miss the color red.  

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Maybe it's master tape, not masking tape... Has anyone tried playing it? Could be some bitchin' boogie-woogie.

Love the human sax player! The shading of her dress evokes Hokusai.  Now that's art.Great find!

Guess who this is.

tmonk_large.jpg

Very nice colors, but .......not a good Mingus. (?)

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Neitehr bad, nor jazz, nor art. Just knock know, who's there, i don't know, i don't know who, hell, ifyou don't care about the future, what could will you be after it's already answered the door for you, huh?

Hey, have a cup of magma and relax, ok?

stan+kenton+-+the+kenton+era+003.jpg

Stan Kenton?

stan-kenton-milano-72.jpg