Savory Collection volume 3

Stonewall15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know where I can find the recording he mentions here?:

Fats Waller participated in one session with Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden and friends that has come out on many bootleg recordings over the years. This session was issued in many different ways.

These may be hard to find.

Here is one appearance: 

https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong-Fats-Waller-Jam-session-Louis-Armstrong-Fats-Waller-19381947/release/9540176

Another:

https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong-Fats-Waller-Live-1938-1940/release/8863003

Also:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/1938-1939-vol-5-mw0000411044/credits

I have it on one of the King Jazz cds of Waller's work, possibly Vol. 14. . . . 

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else downloaded this yet?  The John Kirby Sextet sides are the best I've ever head of this group (though I can't claim I've heard a lot). What kind of program was this broadcast?  Are there other extant broadcasts where there's a "narrator" reading the band leader's intros of the numbers? 

I have downloaded and listened to the album ("Volume 3:  Honeysuckle Rose") once.  The sound quality was good and the music conveyed some of the excitement that there must have been when Fats Waller, the John Kirby Sextet, Benny Carter and the others played clubs.  The Kirby Sextet sounds looser to me than in some of their studio work, if that makes sense.  The narration is a perhaps bit corny for 2017 but very much of its time.  Wife and younger son both tolerated it well while I made breakfast on a Sunday morning.  I'm not as knowledgeable as the group here and not in a great position to make a comparison to what else is out there, but I would recommend it.

Downloaded it last night.

Doug Pomeroy has done an excellent transfer job. Theme is Honeysuckle Rose played (& sung) by a variety of lineups.

Standout material is the John Kirby Sextet - 10 tracks, radio broadcasts, mostly from 1940 - they sound so ahead of their time, a great rendition of Boogie Woogie Stomp by Albert Ammons (with unknown drummer) at Cafe Society (Dec 39)

Also, WNEW Radio Jam session with Waller, Teagardens (Charlie & Jack), Pee Wee Russell, Condon, Shapiro & Singleton (5 tracks), Roy Eldridge & Chick Webb with radio orchestra (1938 - 2 tracks, one without Webb), Benny Carter Orchestra live Savoy Ballroom (11/39, 2 tracks), then finally closing with The Joe Sullivan Sextet (same date & location as Ammons)

On 29.5.2017 at 7:38 PM, medjuck said:

Has anyone else downloaded this yet?  The John Kirby Sextet sides are the best I've ever head of this group (though I can't claim I've heard a lot). What kind of program was this broadcast?  Are there other extant broadcasts where there's a "narrator" reading the band leader's intros of the numbers? 

"duffy´s tavern" comes to mind. maybe the kirby tracks are from this broadcasts?

keep boppin´

marcel 

• 5 months later...

Okay, will try at home on my computer then. The app on the pad is just called "Music" (more of that disguise nonsense - though Samsung does that generic naming too) - it however allowed me to locally save the files (but not to put them into my dropbox or anything).

What a nuisance it is, dealing with apple - doing it exclusively for the Savory compilations. At least the music makes up for the pain! :tup